PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
A while back I noticed a thread re: football and if anyone watched. It seemed like the majority would rather watch paint dry, or something akin to that.
Well, college basketball season is almost here. I love the sport, and my Syracuse Orangemen. You can have the NBA.
Who's your favorite team?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'd rather shave my head with a cheese grater while chewing on aluminum foil than watch any type of basketball game. But... that's just me.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
wife is a college basketball fanatic.. her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What! Guys running around in their underwear beating a rubber ball to death? I'd much rather put on my garter-belt, hose and cup and go for a skate with a bunch of guys trying to feed me a puck. What? Puck? It's spelled right.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
College basketball is my jam! I love my Duke Blue Devils. This year is going to be great. I've been drooling over Tyus Jones for at least the past 9 months, and in a few short days, I finally get to see him play.
You should probably go ahead and start hating Grayson Allen now and beat the rush. He's set to inherit the Laettner Award as the white Dukie the rest of the nation loathes the most. If he can inspire even 50% of the ire Redick drew, he'll be the most hated man playing in the NCAA.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You can have the NBA.
If I'm going to watch a basketball game on TV, which does happen occasionally, it's college ball all the way. Those kids play like their lives depended on it: good sportsmanship too!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My daughter graduated from UF. I live 45 miles away. I think Billy Donavan is on a par with bay hime and shu sheff ski.

College ball is the farm team for the NBA, LeBron, Malone, D.Dawkins notwithstanding. The NBA is doing its best to ruin the sport.

I'm an OLD Celtics fan. I lost interest in the Pierce era. Bill Russel is The Man. Larry is The Legend, and Hondo is the heart and hustle that so many of the Godfather's teams exhibited. Who's The Godfather? Well, he was a big tobacco fan. He was famous for lighting a cigar to signify that his team would leave the gym victorious.

He had red hair, once. He MADE the NBA and I think he'd be disgusted with today's product.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm just a sports fan, but I miss a lot of college sports because of work (and now a lack of cable). My college ball teams are Kentucky and Ohio State.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Go Dayton Flyers! Hope everyone's ready for some more upsets this year :D
I was in the Flyer Pep Band when we won the NIT against UNC in 2010. Madison Square Garden was sweet (along with the rest of my free NY trip)!

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
"her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns."?
Lucas played at Ohio State.
Big basketball fan here, originally from Indiana and went to Indiana State when Larry Bird was there.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
"her Dad use to take her to see Jerry Lucas and gang at St. Johns."?
Lucas played at Ohio State.
Big basketball fan here, originally from Indiana and went to Indiana State when Larry Bird was there.
Formerly the home of Ohio State basketball for 42 seasons, St. John Arena is the permanent venue for the Buckeye men’s and women’s gymnastics and men’s and women’s volleyball teams.
Completed in November of 1956 at a cost of less than $4,000,000, the 13,276-seat structure is named for former Ohio State basketball coach and athletic director, L.W. St. John.

Featuring two Hall of Fame players in Jerry Lucas and John Havlicek, six players drafted by the NBA and Bob Knight, the winningest basketball coach in NCAA history, the Buckeyes led the nation by averaging 90.4 points per game, still a school record and 20 points higher than the NCAA scoring average that season. In the three-year careers of those sophomores [freshmen couldn't play varsity ball then], the Buckeyes never lost at home, went 78-6 overall, and followed the 1960 national title with two more title game appearances, and losses, to Cincinnati.
btw, none of them played less then their 3 years and all graduated before moving on.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
No problem Frank, hopefully the Duke-Cuse games will be just as exciting as last year. Ideally this year the games won't come down to a close call at the end, and Duke will win both of them.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
vfefrenzy, Coach K, and Boeheim, love'em or hate'em, they will be legends.
If you come to the Dome, PM me. I'm only half an hour from there.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Love footbal, but would rather give myself a vasectomy with a sharpened popsicle stick before watching basketball...SORRY

Status
Not open for further replies.