PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2011
I've been missing my 1960 MGA as it needs new brakelines throughout and funds are tight, so she hasn't been driven all summer; she's been missed. I am sure that there are people on here that have an affinity for classic British sports cars. So my question is: What do you have and what pipe tobacco smells really good sidled up next to that "british car smell"? Stories, pictures, etc. (Don't have my pictures available where I am so as soon as I get home I'll post some)

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I miss my 1984 XJS. My first piping memories are inexorably linked to that car, so straight Perique and whiskey Cavendish would be my entries for this contest of memory, along with the swampy heat of New Orleans, Dixieland jazz (or Tom Waits), beignets and chicory coffee, and adorable redheads.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We have a '79 MGB, purchased this summer. Lots of fun already. I sold a Triumph motorcycle to buy this, but still have two more trumps in the garage.

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
Bear with me! 8O
Well when you say "Classic British" I have stretched the whole concept very slightly. This used to be mine, built for me by a very good friend way back when, circa 1976 I would think. I owned it up until 1983 and the following pictures were taken after it had been sold to its next owner.

A "Sit Up and Beg" Ford Popular. OK, with a difference admittedly. :D
2223921960084080354S500x500Q85.jpg

marisasphotos006.jpg

But most recently, I have been running around in this.......
MVC-016S.jpg

robs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2010
There were various models Hobie, The Popular, The Prefect, both of which where similar in shape, but the Prefect was a 4 Door varient.
The White Coupe is a Triumph Stag from the very last run of production in very early 1977.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I had a '67 MGB while in college. Move ahead to 2010 and I bought a 1976 MGB from a guy in the neighborhood. I brought it into the shop for some "routine" maintenance a week ago and still waiting to get it back.

Had a great summer with it. I also belong to the Keystone MG Club here in the Lehigh Valley in Pa.

Very nice, clean car and the antique plate means no state inspection. Sweet.
1977_MGB.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My first of 3 Triumph Spitfires....a 1969 model that I rebuilt the motor at age 18...installed Venolia forged pisons, shaved the head .110 and installed shorter alloy tubular push rods to match...got most of my parts through the Triumph Competition catalog.

Personalphotos025.jpg

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Great thread! I'll try and dig up some pics of the austin healey my father in law had. I had a neighbor that collected MGs, and would stuff these land rover V8s into them.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I had a '74 MGB, (one of the last with dual SU carbs and chrome bumpers) I sure miss that car... wish I could have it back. Maybe one day I'll get another one or luck up on a good deal on a TR-6.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
You guys really took me back in time. In the mid 90's i owned a red Lotus Turbo Esprit (1990 model year).
The car was ridiculously quick and handled like it was on rails. It was also quirky on occasion, like when the passenger side electric window didn't roll down for two days and then fixed itself. Or the time I pushed the gas peddle to the floor and it stayed there limp (no jokes allowed :?). The throttle cable had broken, it looked like something from a lawn mower.
Because of the small weight and turbo charged 4-cylinder engine, I could get almost 30 mpg if I drove sensibly (which rarely happened :lol:.)
The car still is my all time favorite.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I had a couple of old Spitfires, back in the day. One was like this,minus luggage rack,and not so clean. :D

dwalenius.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're taking out the 1979 B tonight for an ice cream cone, with the dog. Tonight is the 32nd anniversary of our 1st date, which happened back in 1979. Good times!

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Well i'm British and like my cars so i guess that makes me a British car nut lol

Currently got a 1980's MGB GT and previously owned a Triumph Spitfire
You guys do know what Lotus stands for don't you?

Lots

Of

Trouble

Usually

Serious
:lol:

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I took a test drive one time in an Austin Healey 3000(Love that car!) Also went for a drive with a salesman in an XKE once(Was a bomb!) Alas I have never actually owned a British car. My wife and I have been talking about an older Mini Cooper, so maybe I will make it into the club at some point!

Status
Not open for further replies.