PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Stopped by a local antique store today and found 2 pipes.

The first one on the left side of the shank says Sterling Band. On the right side of the shank it says American Briar. Then on the Silver Band it is stamped with a sideward Anchor in a rectangle then the letter T in a diamond then a Lion in a rectangle. The inside of the bowl is yellow. Note this pipe is unsmoked. Can anyone give me an idea where the pipe came from?
The second pipe on the left side has Kaywoodie relief grain with the number 12B. On the stem there is a club inside a white dot. It is a bulldog shape, the shank and part of the stem has a diamond shape.Is there someone who can give me an idea when this pipe was made ?
Thank you for your help

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
HTH:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my area, I find it difficult to ever find tobacco pipes in antique stores, flea markets, yard sales, etc. Apparently pipe smoking is somewhat regionally focused. If you have one that sometimes has pipes, it might be worth it to leave them a business card or index card with your contact information and ask them to contact you when they receive pipes, so you get first pickings. I have whined before, when I ask about tobacco pipes, people act as if I am asking for some unknown or forbidden object.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I believe that when called American briar the wood is actually mountain laurel. Mountain laurel was used by American pipe companies during WW II when they could not get briar from Europe.

The band may be British hallmarked silver but if the bowl is yellow my first thought is Yello-Bole.

As others have said, pictures will be a great help.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Tried several times to post a pic. It doesn't function with my tablet on this site. Now I don't have an idea. Even tried to copy pic to the album here then tried to post with no results.
By the way I found that Kaywoodie was made sold between 1947 and 1970. Also it was lightly smoked.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Had to dig out the laptop to do this, I dont use it very often. so lets try it.

The top one is the one in question.

The second one is the Kaywoodie.

12051621362-600x375.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.