PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Thank god I do not live there, but hell give it 6 months and it will be nation wide. Is there anybody fighting this? Hell the ACLU should be on this like stink on shit!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The article correctly applies the word "totalitarian" to these control freaks.

Definition:
Of, relating to, being, or imposing a form of government in which the political authority exercises absolute and

centralized control over all aspects of life, the individual is subordinated to the state, and opposing political and

cultural expression is suppressed.

The anti-tobacco nazi's, the medical establishment, and the people who support them, either actively or by acquiescence,

have put our society on a slippery slope; and McDonald's in San Francisco is the first non-tobacco business to have slid

into the abyss of totalitarianism as a result. Who's ox will be gored next?

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks, Kevin....This editorial really summarizes the feelings of most, if not all, of the membership!...The entire issue is such a complete frustration.... :evil:

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Kevin,
We voted for change. Five days before the 2008 election, we were told, and I quote, " in five days, we will fundamentally transform America". We are now undergoing that transformation, it's just not quite what we expected, nor really wanted.
From this latest anti-tobacco outrage to the TSA grope and feel-out at the airport, change is all around us, whether we like it or not.
I can see 2012 from my house!
Flame away.
CACooper

caliguy

Might Stick Around
Jul 30, 2010
I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. It's so ridiculous that it's funny and it's so intrusive that it's scary.
I'm sick to death of people telling me that I can't enjoy a product that's sold legally in this country. Hell, it's produced in this country. Moreover, it's production made this country a financially viable enterprise. You don't see this kind of reaction toward the use of alcohol. How many deaths in this country can be directly attributed to alcohol use every day? Hundreds? Thousands? That's because they tried alcohol prohibition and it failed miserably. So rather than an outright ban, they plan on making tobacco use so expensive and inconvenient that we just throw up our hands and give up. They achieve the effects of tobacco prohibition without the outright prohibition of its sale or use.
We hear people say, all the time, that they will leave this country because of political reasons. That is not a reason to leave, it's a reason to get involved. The problem with all of this is that we are not fighting facts, we are fighting belief. These people have no basis in fact for such a law, but they believe that smoking in your own home causes your neighbors harm. Belief is proof of nothing, other than that the believer has an emotional attachment to their position.
It's an uphill battle and it could ultimately lead to an outright tobacco ban. The tobacco industry must present a logical and well thought out argument. The issue with the industry is that they have been caught lying on more than one occasion with regard to cigarettes so their credibility is called into question. However facts are facts. Before the government denies us any more personal liberty, make those who would deny us the right to enjoy tobacco in our own homes prove their point, beyond a reasonable doubt.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Pretty soon we won't be able to take a crap in our own bathrooms, because it sullies the environment too much.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Thanks for all the comments guys.
Two things:
1. Could you put some comments on the actual article?
- and -
2. I just updated the piece with a video from British American Tobacco which predicts what will happen as the antis drive cigarettes onto the black market.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/tobacco-policies-legislation/anti-tobacco-nazis-will-do-anything-to-take-control-of-your-life/

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
I've said for a long time that it will become illegal to smoke, but when BIG BROTHER is allowed to tell you what you can and cannot do in your own home we have issues.

My wife the other day said the USA is comming to a piont like the old Stallone movie Demolition Man I believe it was called where you have sex via video headphones, kids are out of test tubes, smoking is banned and you have to figure out the three friggin sea shells to crap, and on top of all that the Govt tells you when and where you can crap.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat the mistakes made. Prohibition of alcohol gave us such fun figures as Al Capone and his playmates. Who will be running tobacco to the local "Smoke easy" ?

bhpdrew

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2010
Washington State
Well, my thoughts are this:

Our nation has moved further and further toward the "Nanny State" mentality. In short, government and elitists know what you need and want better than you do. By doing so they (persons in positions of authority) remove your freedom to choose what is best for you. It is an intrusion into my (or anyone else) life which I find repulsive. By removing my ability to make choices, for good or bad, they are removing my ability to learn from mistakes, mature and grow from experience. It makes for a far more immature, small minded, ignorant populace who will "go along to get along". This will make for a less self-sufficient, less inventive, less creative environment that will lead our nation down the crapper.
Sorry, I just found out I am retroactively being given a medal for not shooting at a gunmen when I was deployed. I find that insulting. Not something to be put up as something to be admired.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Orwell would be appalled at what some of our governmental agencies are ramming down our throats with little or no opposition from the general populace or those in a certain group(pipe smokers for example). The San Francisco area McDonald's comes to mind, as well. If there is going to be a prohibition of smoking at all, then as a previous poster says, there will be an underground movement to provide the prohibited substances. Yes, I remember Demolition Man. Similar to 1984, but modernized and set some 50 years in the future, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.