PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
It was a sad thing to read that Anthony Bourdain apparently took his own life. My wife and I really enjoyed his TV programs, No Reservations and Parts Unknown, that explored the food and lifestyles from other countries. I've read a couple of his books in the past and they took on some controversial subjects about the restaurant business from the chefs viewpoint. But he always tried to give a balanced view of the places he traveled to and the food they ate. Going to miss his unique style and fearless presentations.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I always liked Bourdain, may his soul RIP.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I did enjoy his commentaries on food and travel. His other opinions not so much. But based on his culinary shows I will miss that.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Indeed. I did not agree with his politics (like ever) but he was on my short list of people I would like to hang out for a weekend with. Always enjoyed his commentary and travel shows. He had a unique way of telling stories of culture through food. RIP

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I am completely devastated by this news! Among other things i have done in my life , I was at one time an aspiring chef. Anthony was a guiding light in this field, and like him at one time i had a serious drug problem. I always told myself that if he could get over his issues than so could i . I am now 15 years sober and very happy for it. I could never go back to that life. It makes me so sad that this amazing man thought that there was no way back. People , please if you need help seek it out ! There is absolutely no shame in it. That being said, this is very sad news but i am glad that his influence helped me when i needed it. Its sad that often times the people we look up to as mentors and good examples of how to change our lives, are the ones that are hurting the most. R.I.P Anthony you will not be forgotten!

opus777

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 12, 2018
any details yet? I hope we can begin to understand mental illness and help treat those that suffer.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ya, it's a shock.

I've enjoyed his contributions to sharing food and culture.

I read his largely autobiographical book: Kitchen Confidential some years ago, and found it uniquely amusing. He was able to translate that 'voice' to video in his various excursions to the far reaches of the earth to sample indigenous cuisine.

He always came across as honest, spontaneous, and intelligent, often humorous and sometimes philosophical.

My favorite segment of his videos involved an earthen pit and cooked entrails with some Ethiopian Bushmen.

He actually spit out a bite, and said, "that tastes like shit" (which it was, since the seasoning for the intestines was their contents.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many of us would have enjoyed attaining his level of success, relaunching his career after prominence in the culinary world and becoming a travel and food television star, and this premature end does not erase a bit of that. Maybe he needed some human support and closeness he couldn't get on that continual travel schedule. This kind of desperation can be addressed, but the person has to know they're in trouble early enough to address it. That all sounds very tidy. He got the work done and will live on in his writing and videos. I'm sorry he felt miserable enough to end his life.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Many years ago he came to Eunice for a boucherie, pig killing for the uncajuns, I was friend with the Heberts who had a Speciality Meat Market and was invited, however something came up and I could not attend, I watched the video and boy was I sorry I could not go. He was not afraid to tackle anything. Ate what they put in front of him, they showed him what it meant to use evrtything but the Squeal. 61 is too young to go, it's a sad world. :crying:

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
He will be missed by many, that's for sure. It only goes to show none of us have any idea at all what someone else is going through.I can only imagine that struggle.
Saw this on Reddit, but applicable here:
zV5e2FQ.jpg

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Yet another person lost from a case of lethal depression. He has an 11 year old daughter. No one that wasn't suffering from a serious condition would commit suicide given this information. No shame in depression, just need to recognize the illness and try to get it treated. Suicide doesn't really end the pain; it just shunts it off to others.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
I was a big big fan of his books and shows. We shared a similar past and a love of bourbon and street food. It saddens me that even though he was on location with his close friend Eric Ripert, he felt that was his only path. A sad day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a retired general practitioner friend who reminded people that depression is a life-threatening illness. Many of his thoughts were more upbeat or humorous than that, but he was blunt on that subject. Brad's account of his visit to the Cajun feast is terrific. When he was functioning, he'd go for broke. Others remember him as really arrogant, but that was likely compensatory.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I forgot he was here in Feb, in uniform for the Corree De Mandi Grais. They go to outlying farms, seranadeing , doing tricks , for a chicken for the Gumbo Pot at Community Hall that night. A sight to see, horses, bands playing Cajun Music, chickens thrown in the air by farmers, riunning after chicken. Anyway he was in costume and visited several restaurants. He will be missed. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.