PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
For members who smoke a number of bowls a day especially, deep cellaring is the way to go. Gauging how much of what is an art, but not impossible. If I bought no other tobacco starting today, I think at the rate I smoke, I'd be good for about eight years, with better and better aging leaf as I go. However, since I seem to buy more than I smoke, along the way, I'm not especially worried. Like most, I'd be pleased to live to 120 gently puffing all the way. Not likely but perhaps the best attitude.

OK so - math time.

The way I figure, I'm buying at an average rate of 16oz a month and I'm smoking at a rate of on average 2oz a month (sometimes a bit more).

I'm already acquiring at a much higher rate than my consumption (so I'm auto-cellaring, like you said with a nice age building up as I go). I tend to cellar blends that I 'try out' and probably don't dip back into them until months (or years) later. In 6-months I'll have an excess of 5 1/4 lb's, that's over 10lb a year.

If I carry on smoking at that rate, the excess 10lb alone will last me 6 and a half years. I don't know if I'd want to have over 20lb of tobacco in the cellar at any given time, but it's certainly protection against future difficulties.

Added to the above-mentioned risk of online sales disappearing (at some point) cellaring just seems like a no-brainer and I'm glad to be doing it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Loss of online retail in pipes and pipe tobacco would be an end, if not the end. It might boost brick and mortar outlets for a while, independent pipe shops and J&R cigar outlets, and maybe the remaining Tinder Box chain franchises. There would be some kind of gray and black market, but the clients are so spread out, it might not be profitable. OTC and codger blends would be most durable because they are "big tobacco" and in greater supply and distribution, and more resilient to deeming regs.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Loss of online retail in pipes and pipe tobacco would be an end, if not the end. It might boost brick and mortar outlets for a while, independent pipe shops and J&R cigar outlets, and maybe the remaining Tinder Box chain franchises. There would be some kind of gray and black market, but the clients are so spread out, it might not be profitable. OTC and codger blends would be most durable because they are "big tobacco" and in greater supply and distribution, and more resilient to deeming regs.

This is a crying shame, truly. Just look at all the new members joining here. I know we’re but a tiny percentage of ‘smokers’, yet I’m annoyed thinking about the future of our fine tobacco.

Sure, I’ve a lot of cigars and still enjoy them on occasion, but the pipe by comparison is sublime, and I’m now spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.