PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
As some of You may know not so long ago I got me this above Castello Castello KK Light Billiard from Novelli It and now I decided to pair it with another lightweight billiard from their Searock line up. The vendor was the Smokingpipes.Eu and when I was checking I happily noticed they had provided me with 5% off from listing price + free shipping with the EU,Yes and they did inspect the pipe for me as requested (The drill was slightly on the right but nonetheless sits at the bottom of the bowl and passes pipe cleaner)
pipe-estate-pipes-castello-billiard-casr207-01-600x240.jpg

castello-searock-kk-billiard-600x284.jpg

castello-searock-kk-light-billiard-600x284.jpg

Ps. In Order to avoid creating possible bunouts with this very pipe I eventually may choose to precoat the chamber by myself)

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I'm not much of a fan of searock (or other rustication), but I really like the first pipe. That is a beautiful pipe.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Oh, that Searock!! Very nice.
Here's a simple and effective home done coating:
Wet the chamber. Fill with white sugar. Pour out. Let dry. Load extra dry tobacco carefully. Smoke to the bottom. Voilà! Excellent start on a thin hard cake.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I have a tiny KK billiard, Sea Rock, and rusticated quite heavily, to the point where I was a little worried about burnout. I broke it in slow, and now I treat it like any other pipe, I have no fear for it, 200 bowls... I dunno, but it's a heavily used pipe.
They are great little pipes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Thanks folks,yes I like these for the versatility and for them a rather moderate chamber size + lightweight,if there is only negative with this one with a smooth finish is that it tends to heat up a bit more than I'd prefer, the same heating issue can be observed with this Old regd number Stanwell which has fairly thin walls and bottom as well,now one German repairman (JanzenPfeifen.de)is supposed to send me a flagon of precoating liquid(greyish color) which can be applied into the chamber if need be, in the reality I most notice that almost all my older estates have a tendency to go hot,

@Paul, its nice to have medium sized bowls, too small and you lose the entire experience. Here is my first Castello I got from Mike at Briar Blues. Its with George D for restoration and hopefully I will get it this year. George was kind enough to hold onto my box of pipes when I underwent major surgery in 2016 and took me about 3 years to recover monetarily and physcially.
B2wlRat.jpg

Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@The PipeMonk, Yes Sir,can't argue,as far as restorations go Mr George D has provided me with very valuable information, unlike here in the Eu,You boys in the U.S have way more options to choose from when it comes to pipe repair shops,this is a major problem here, as far as I'm informed we've gotten some two still existing repair men in England and one in Germany.It is what it is,yet ,I'm happy to learn your surgery went successfully and You're feeling fine today, Sweet smokes to You Sir,keep posting.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
You are loving those Castellos it seems Paul! You've made some great purchases of late! I have got a similar pipe, with very tin walls and a silver band around the shank for some reenforcement. It is a great smoker and super light weight, I would not put any bowl coating inside. Just enjoy the goodness of what is perfectly aged briar. I smoke virginias in mine and I just take it easy. I have some thin walled pipes that get hot, but any thick bowl pipe would get equally hot but you just cannot feel it. I think you really need to abuse the pipe to get a burnout or be unlucky there is some natural sandpit in the middle of those thin walls.
Enjoy and keep us posted how she performs.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Bazungu,now I may rethink this bowl coating stuff as You said ,yet I have to be watchful when removing and inserting stems in these lightweighters(due to thin shanks)but yes,aesthetics aside (mostly my preference are pipes in accordance with strict classic shape charts)can't deny,these Castellos of mine smoke all wonderfully right of the bat,providing very effortless and smooth smoking experience,that's the main reason I choose to buy them,They sure offer great value, not saying these are affordable by any means but the price and quality seem to meet my expectation so far,in the past there was moments where I found myself being frustrated with my $80-120 brand new pipes and I don't wanna repeat that experience anymore,too old for that,

@paul Thanks Paul, sadly I am not in the US yet, but in India and lately it has been a complete nightmare buying pipes or tobacco. I have not let any pipes I have bought since 2015 to be sent to India, a mere mention of tobacco on the package will either attract a duty of 42% flat on the CIF (Cost+Insurance+Freight) and if its pipe tobacco you will be falsely accused of violating the import laws, this is the stupidity of the right wing govt. in power sice the last 5 years, earlier we had zero issues when a more liberal govt. was in power. i have seriously contemplated to actually apply for a tobacco import licence but its another bureaucratic nightmare.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@The PipeMonk, well that what you are describing sounds like a pure nightmare If our situation ever gets that bad,then I'd guess there's nothing more left but leave the country entirely, haven't You heard of one Malaysian based tobacconist?I reckon isn't too far away from India and based on what I have previously been told prices are more or less affordable out there in MA

@Paul I'll be in the US after I finish my degree. Gf naturalized long time back as an American, so just biding my time here. Being a brown man has its pros and cons, lol. I would love to live in Europe, but the damn immigration laws are too strict for someone like me.
Cheers,

Chris

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@The Pipe Monk,Chris,then there is our good old England to consider as well,but candidly saying, America offers more options in every aspect,,though I have only been there two times in TX so can't speak much about other States

Status
Not open for further replies.