PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Talking about Tobacco Cabana in Cedar Hill, TX. The owner Jim is the one that came up with the beautiful quote, "Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion". He is the only employee, all prices end in no cents or fifty cents and tax is included. If something's marked five dollars, you give him a fiver and you're done. He also takes his dog to work.
I went there last week and he told me this awesome story. He says he went down the road to get a haircut and left the dog in charge. He wasn't kidding; he says when he got back he found several notes, 'I bought an once of this and one of that; here's ten dollars'. The customers didn't find him in, so they did their own shopping, made their own change from the change drawer and everything. He says the dog's lousy at giving change because she can count but can't read the bills.
Just another example of pipe smokers being quality folks.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
@simmnetpratt that would be me if I owned a B&M! Not many people would try to steal from a German shepherd! Lmao!

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Very few business people still work on honesty. I live in Nacogdoches, TX. There is a blueberry farm close by that works the way you described. The owners leave out the buckets and the bags for customers; customers pick the bushes and leave the money in the box. Above the box is a Thank you sign. Fortunately, in some places small town ways still exist. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Great story!

We have a "little" driving range not far from here.

It's owned by "Greg".

It's open 24 hours a day, while he does live on the premises with his wife and dog.

They leave a change box on the counter.

So, if they aren't home, or asleep as the case may be, you simply choose your basket of range balls and pay by the honor system... they even take checks in this manner.

He says he's never been ripped off...

They have been there for more than 20 years...

Golf bags should come with pipe holders. :D

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Kind of a shame that's so far out of the way for me. It's a real pleasure to business with laid back people.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If I'm ever close to Cedar Hill I will have to check it out.
But right now it's a full tank of gas away.
Sounds like an amazing place.
Take some pictures next time you're there? Would be very cool to see what it looks like inside and out.
And the dog, don't forget the dog!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I'll put this on my list of places to visit. I drive up that way from time to time. Will definitely swing by to give him some business.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great story...thanks for sharing that. IMO, corporatization/globalization has all but killed off this type of thing...which used to be common place with private, free-market, independent business.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah, Jim's an awesome and knowledgeable guy. The first time I went, he showed me every one of his pipes, even though all I had was ten dollars for a couple ounces of baccy. Another time I went in, there was a younger guy minding the shop and no Jim. I asked the guy if he was Jim's son and he said no, actually I'm a customer.
He has over two hundred pipes, from five dollar Missouri Meershaums (tax included) to a five hundred dollar carved club that someone turned into a pipe. His cigar selection is good too, but I don't do cigars anymore, preferring the pipe. I've rarely seen another customer there, and how much can he be making on ten dollars worth of tobacco? Five bucks at the most? I hope he and his dog stay in business forever. If you ever go, try the Chicks Dig It and Black Truffle; it has bits of real truffles in it!
I am proud of Jim and the pipe smokers that had the gumption to serve themselves, and the honesty to pay for their purchases.

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
What a great story. That's the way all America used to be like.
Too bad those days are gone and that my children and grandchildren won't have an

opportunity to experience such "good ol days".

Status
Not open for further replies.