PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
At one time, asking someone for a cigarette wasn't a big deal. They were cheap and one didn't think anything about giving a stranger one out of your pack.
In this age of expensive tobacco, asking someone for a cigarette borders on rudeness. Let's face it, they cost a lot of money, especially in some states like California, Wisconsin, and New York.
Also in this age of expensive tobacco the "smoke panhandler" is on the rise (usually using the trying to quit excuse). People don't want to spend their money for expensive cigarettes but seem to have no problem at all with smoking other people's expensive cigarettes.
As a trucker I see far more than my share of panhandlers of all varieties, including the cigarette ones. That is where my pipes come in handy. Just today I was walking across a truck stop parking lot, with pipe clenched and smoking, to grab a bite to eat when a rather disreputable looking fellow approached me and asked if I had a spare cigarette.
I removed my pipe from my mouth, looked down at it and then at him, and said "No, but if you go get your pipe I would be glad to fill your bowl for you".
The fellow looked confused for a moment (no surprise to me as he was asking a guy who was obviously smoking a pipe for a cigarette)and then said "I ain't got no pipe".
I told him "Sucks to be you then, go buy one and come back to see me" and walked on to get my meal.
I don't know too many pipe smokers who wouldn't gladly offer to share a bit of their favorite blend with a fellow pipe smoker, but I can't even imagine a pipe smoker actually trying to bum tobacco from another pipe smoker.
I guess that is just one more advantage of smoking a pipe. Most people, even most smokers, don't smoke pipes so we don't have to deal with people trying to dip into our pockets to bum expensive tobacco from us.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It always amazes me that when you are obviously smoking a pipe, some passerby always asks for a ciggy. Even had one moron ask if he could use one of my pipes. People never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

viceroy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2010
as long as they are a pipe smoker i would be more then happy to share my tobacco, hell i would be willing to light their pipe for them.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I don't mind filling a friends pipe or sparing a cigar but the other night the same thing happened to me. I was smoking on the steps of my building, it was around 3am, and someone walked by and asked for an extra smoke. I said "No, I'm smoking a pipe." He just gave me a strange look and walked away.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Agree with you hobie, can't really do much about it but shake your head and walk away.

connolse

Lurker
Feb 20, 2010
I once made a comment much like pipetrucker's, and much to my surprise and joy the fellow in question actually went to the local B&M, bought a basket pipe, a few ounces of 1Q and our next conversation was genuinely pleasant!
It took him a while to learn the ropes, but he has since become a good pipe smoking buddy, and I have NO problem sharing my baccy with him, or any other person who wishes to practice our fine art!
I think pipetrucker is right: while I would never ask for tobacco, I'd gladly offer it. Perhaps pipes and good manners go together?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Back in my wild youth I worked at a truck stop in Black River Falls Wisconsin. There were a number of drivers who were constantly bumming smoke until I started keeping a pack of Home Run cigarettes in my pocket. Old time non filters that would knock out a mule. Problem solved!

yoru

Jan 5, 2011
People ask me for a fag all the time. . .but I always have one and am always willing to share no matter how many times in a day, or how many people in a day. . . now when its the same person day in and day out it begins to bug me. Tobacco is a grand experience, and I delight in sharing it with another. Something about sharing a butt with a person, it makes becoming friends a far sight easier. --- People who ask for one and run off? I like them a good deal less, in fact I do consider them rude, but I toss one up anyway because people like that tend to be annoying when told no and I just don't have the patience or time for the argument. Funny though, there was a time my non-filtered Camels or hand-rolled non-filters would get turned down. . . that time went with that insane tax hike a few years back. Nobody ever complained about my tube-rolled berettas though. . . I suppose people just need a filter.
I also carry a sanitized pipe on me at all times, or a fresh cob, because I enjoy sharing a pipe with my mates or a stranger who might become one, and 30 minutes spent over a pipe or even longer is the same as a cigarette, but far more pronounced. If someone has their own pipe I offer to fill it when I pull mine out regardless if they have tobacco or not, again, to share in the experience.
I do the same with cigars when I have them, only I only buy cigars in pairs, and will not smoke it until I find a mate to share it with. And I pass my snuff box around whenever I reach for it by force of habit (my father was big on gentlemanly behavior), but few are willing to try nasal snuff, and fewer still already use it.
Sharing is in my nature I suppose. Its the same reason I pay the way whenever I invite someone to something -- I wish we had an English phrase for "Ich lade dich", which is a phrase that suggests you're paying for them, and it would be rude to decline without decent reason. . . "I insist" doesn't even get the point across anymore, because sometimes people say it just to have said it. . . . It's also the reason I tip 20-40% as long as the service was good -- 7-14% for par, and 25 cents for bad.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I don't know too many pipe smokers who wouldn't gladly offer to share a bit of their favorite blend with a fellow pipe smoker, but I can't even imagine a pipe smoker actually trying to bum tobacco from another pipe smoker.
So well stated Mason. This camaraderie of ours does not come without its etiquette, and it seems to really become a pipe smoker a certain amount of common sense and courtesy are an inherent trait.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks for the insightful comments, gents.
LOL @ UncleArthur.
Your, if that is your thing, all is good. Personally, I don't panhandle from others and don't like it when others do it to me. But then again, one of my favorite lines from Stephen King's Dark Tower series is "If a man can't stand to share his habit he shoud give it up". I am always ready to share a bit of tobacco, I just don't like professional bums.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I love this thread . It made me howl with laughter reminding me of my father's rule which was my grandfather's also " If you're going to smoke, you can buy them for yourself." Sharing with nice folks is fine but especially when I was in college, some guys would come up and get down right picky about what brand you had to smoke.Anymore, if you get a light off of me good luck. I spare my lights for ladies with a nice trunk but no one else smokes a pipe close by otherwise I might share a bowl.

james

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2011
no one else smokes a pipe close by otherwise I might share a bowl
It would be a pleasant surprise if someone pulled a pipe from their pocket and asked if they could bum a bowl.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I've given away quite a bit of tobacco but, now that you mention it, no pipe smoker has ever asked me for any. The offer generally comes in the course of normal conversation. "Nice aroma". "Thanks. Would you like to try a bowl?" I'm always glad to help out a fellow pipe man.

babarajas

Lurker
Mar 11, 2011
So I work shift work at a local Chemical plant, usually on nights,once a or twice a set a couple of us set our breaks to where we can enjoy a bowl or a stogie and swap lies from the week before. Breaks up the stress of all the doom and gloom we are force feed by the company...there are times when one of may not have a smoke, thats why I keep a fresh pipe and several cigars in my locker. Nothing like BSing or solving the worlds problems over a smoke...

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Since I began smoking a pipe, I've cut my cigarette consumption down to one or two a day, so rather than purchase packs, I've taken to buying pouches of Drum (Dk. Blue)...people walk away when I produce said pouch and pack of Zig-Zag Blues.
Now if anyone wants to share a pipe, I certainly profer up all needed hardware - I've only had two people take up my offer so far, however, and both were close friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.