PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper

Lurker
Jan 22, 2011
Hi, I've been reading through the forums for a couple weeks now, just now registered. I was wondering if anyone has bought anything from AND Pipes. Their prices seem a little too good to be true.
I'd expect a pipe this inexpensive to be pressed meerschaum or some imitation, but they say on the website:
WHAT ARE YOUR PIPES MADE OF?

All of our pipes are made of high quality block meerschaum. We do not sell pressed meerschaum.

Their website is http://www.meerschaum.com/
Thanks for reading, any information is much appreciated.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
From my limited experience with meerschaum, I would say It's low quality block.

I purchased a similar pipe from another online dealer and within a month, the

threads that hold the stem to the shank fell apart.

I didn't purchase from AND because I didn't see a phone # where they could be contacted.

Save your money and look elsewhere.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Not having personal experience with this Seller, I can only report

the findings of others. The results are mixed. One group says that

the Pipes are low quality, while the other group says that they are

a value for the $$. My suggestion would be to establish dialogue with

the Seller. Are the photos static or are they accurate representations

of the Pipe that you would purchase? Are the Pipes carved from Block

or pressed Meerschaum? Does the Seller stand behind his product for

defects in workmanship and quality of materials?

jasper

Lurker
Jan 22, 2011
I've sent the site an email with some questions about the pipes. Hopefully I get a response within the week.

jasper

Lurker
Jan 22, 2011
Well, I got a pretty prompt reply:
Thank you for your interest in our pipes.

All pipes are made from high quality Eskisehir block meerschaum.

Every pipe comes with a custom made case.

Pipes and cases are made in Turkey

I ship the next business day after the payment by USPS Priority Mail.

usually takes 2-3 business days for delivery.

Every pipe in the web page is in stock. Note that we have only one of each

pipe (except the calabash and the cigarette holders). So when a pipe is

ordered it is removed from the web page.
Best Regards,
Alex Dumond

AND Meerschaum Pipes

P.O.Box 972903

Ypsilanti, MI 48197

Fax: 734-528-9177

www.meerschaum.com

sales@meerschaum.com
----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2011 1:25 PM

Subject: Couple questions about your pipes
The website looks good, and the prices look great, but I have a few

questions.
Are all the pipes made from high quality Eskisehir block meerschaum?
Also, do all your pipes come with cases?
Where are the pipes carved/made?
How long does it typically take for a package to arrive? I live in Texas.
Is the catalog up to date?
I hope to hear back from you soon.
I also just searched Alex Dumonds name, trying to find more information, and I found a forum post about these pipes.
http://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4952-my-cheap-new-meer/
They seem to be decent quality, and the engraving looks to be pretty well done as well. Based on that forum post, and the speedy reply to my email, I think I'll give this company a shot.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
It sounds good to me as well. Keep us advised on how things

develop for you.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I have purchased several pipes from them and have no complaints at all. The pipes were exactly as advertised, the shipping was very prompt, and I had no ugly surprises at all.
In my opinion they are an honorable company.
No, I don't work for them LOL.

jasper

Lurker
Jan 22, 2011
Well this is certainly an old post, but seeing as I am the creator, I'll give it a bump.
I finally got around to ordering one of these pipes. It will be here this week. I'll make sure to write a short review and post some pictures as well. I'm pretty excited.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, I'm also thinking about buying my first meerschaum from this company; also, waiting for the review :puffpipe:

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
Ordered a large lattice bent Dublin from them recently....got the pipe in about 4 days and for $65 shipped it is a pretty good sized pipe and seems to be a good value.
Smoked it twice so far and I can say that it smokes good but there are 2 issues of note at this point:
a.) The stem has a narrow hole that the smoke comes out of which is fine except it feels REALLY concentrated and has caused some tongue bite...but if I'm careful I can control it and I haven't tried many tobys so I may find one that isn't even a problem...more to come on that.
b.) I MAY have a bought one that is TOO BIG! The bowl size is deep and at the top, it's wide enough that it's almost hard to get the light going properly. But again, I may find a different tobacco that works better in this pipe, I'll keep trying.
It IS well made and is very pleasing to the eye, I'm hoping the coloring process is as interesting as I've made it out to be in my mind.
Will post some shots of it soon but wanted to add some stuff to this thread as I, too, was intrigued by this company and their meers!
Take care all!

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
A note of caution (on any Meerschaum in my opinion, not just these). See if you can find out what sort of tenon they are using. Before I knew much, I bought a pair of eagle claw pipes from a Turkish shop on base in Iraq. They had wide plastic tenons apparently designed for 9mm filters. The threads in the shanks ultimately stripped out on both of them, despite being careful. I can't find tenons like those anywhere and whats left of threads are about half an inch down in the shank.
In retrospect I fairly sure both those pipes were pretty low quality block and carved by apprentices. One smoked fine, but the other was a disaster and on inspection the shank was actually carved at about a 5 degree angle to the bowl.
I have no experience with this company, but I'd be leary. Based on the quality of the carving I can see on their site,which is about on par with those two claw pipes, my guess is their pipes are going to be hit or miss.

mike68

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2011
Some photos of the AND meerschaum...well made and, so far, a good deal!
meer_largo_1.jpg

meer_4.jpg

meer_3.jpg

meer_2.jpg

Last smoke in it was Magnum Opus and it seemed to really enjoy that blend! Maybe Lat is this things calling?!?

bcer

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
I bought a medium art with a frog desing. I am very happy with the service and end product I received.

I will post pictures later, as I am at work.
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.