PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Well, shortly prior to attempting removing light oxidation and dirt buildups from this very estate Stanwell 29 Royal Briar I shoulda been refreshing my memory and watch our forum member Georged*YTube video on stem refurbish, I was very close to round edges on this stem despite I tried to be cautious I could ,on the first hand I ought to be using flat fingernail file wrapped with sanding paper to prevent this happening,not too bad damages but obviously, eventually I might have ended up with round stem shoulder' edges.Then there is still this one question, how to save the brand logo while polishing.

cimg0161-600x450.jpg

cimg0143-600x450.jpg

cimg0144-600x450.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Let wait and see when Georged chimes in,he may have some sound advice to share.

@Daniel7:I must keep in mind for future,but in this particular case even a mix of Toothpaste&BarTenderFriend(Vim)did not seem to give no particular effect.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like it could be covered with tape and then buffed around, but that's conjecture. Await the experts.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Then there is this trick some folks seem to favor,the oxiclean bath prior to sanding, says it will soften oxidation and makes sanding easier ,nontheless I'm a bit apprehensive of using that method because of possible chlorine smell and residue it may leave afterwards.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@MikeThopson,Thanks I have heard that too,once I had been using this bleach bath with one of my badly oxidized Savinelli pipe, while it definitely did help to get surface softer and easier to sand,but afterwards I couldn't get rid off that faint smell even I rinsed and plunged stem in boiling water.

to note,I left the stem soaked overnight and the mix was strong enough something like in ratio of 60%

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The bleach soak thing creates as many problems as it solves---some of them VERY difficult to set right---and you'll end up sanding in every case, anyway.
So, since you know exactly where you want to go, it's faster and easier to travel 1000 miles west than 23000 east to get there.
Cold impress logo retention is sometimes possible, but usually not. Getting a stamp made and re-doing it is the only real answer, but that's both expensive and EXTREMELY difficult to do without specialized equipment (the necessary rolling action cannot be ignored or a partial stamp results, and accomplishing a controlled "spin" of the stem under heavy pressure can't be done manually with any degree of repeatable success).

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes my Stanwell logo started chipping off right away. Then with curiosity, I scraped it with my fingernail. The whole thing came right off. Stupid on my end. But I've never dealt with a logo so easily damaged.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Depends on the Stanwell line. Most of my logos are steel of some sort, deeply implanted into the stem material. The lower cost ones are just printed on the stems and will inevitably come off.
I love the 29 shape so much I have two! One of my 29’s, The Trio, has the logo implanted but the lower grade 29, Brushed Brown, the logo is just printed on the stem.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Paul, why don´t you try with a magic eraser? I have had good results with it. I have not had lasting results with the clorine solution.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've also had decent results with the Magic Eraser product on stamped logos (Dave or DMCMTK told me about this).

I have also pretty much abandoned the oxy-clean soak, using it in only the most heavily oxidized examples.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Magic eraser lightly wetted will work wonders for you. Then a coating of obsidian oil once the stem is clean.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Next Time I will give a magic eraser a try,with moderately oxidized stems, but this time around this very stem had very stubborn like oxidation and dirt build up, M Earser worked but not that effectively I was expecting,

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I won't use sandpaper anymore. I remove oxidation with a lighter and wet paper towel then thumb buff to a mirror finish with toothpaste.

Status
Not open for further replies.