PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I recently had eye surgery for a detached retina and had a follow-up appointment today with the surgeon. Since the exam left me unable to drive for a few hours I decided to take the bus home. I relit my pipe after leaving the doctor's office and walked the two blocks to the bus stop. After about ten minutes the bus pulled up and, since the bowl was nearly done, I tapped it out and got on the bus. While I was paying my fare the driver said:
"You gotta put that thing out."

"What?"

"You gotta put that thing out."

"If you're talking about my pipe, I put it out as I stepped toward the bus."

At this point, she pulled to the curb and said:

"I SAW smoke coming from it when you got on the bus, PUT IT OUT!"
I pulled the pipe from my pocket and showed her that it was empty.

She muttered something unintelligble and pulled away.

Since God loves fools and assholes (He MUST love them, he made so many), I let it drop and sat down.
A block from my stop a woman got on (obviously a regular rider). She paid her fare and asked the driver:

"Didn't you see me this morning? You drove right by me."

"I saw you."

"Why didn't you stop, I was late for work because of you."

"You were smoking a cigarette."

"I put it out before you got to the Bus Stop."

"Well maybe this taught you that you have to put it out when I'm at least a block away."
I think that next time I'll just walk home from the doctor's office.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't have anything to do with bus drivers or anybody else that deals with the public for a living. But I think she's venting, and she perceives smokers as vulnerable (and safe) targets. She probably wouldn't confront a jive hip-hop rapper in dreadlocks with a boom box on his shoulder with the same vehemence. But challenging you provides her with a sense of control... restores her in some way.

I hope your eye heals well.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think she's venting, and she perceives smokers as vulnerable (and safe) targets... challenging you provides her with a sense of control... restores her in some way.

I hope your eye heals well.
I think you nailed it Cortez. She believes she is the Queen of her slightly larger than usual ant hill.
I too echo Cortez's hope that you have a speedy recovery.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
Bullies, bully out of an insecurity about their own existence.
There are so many people that cling to bureaucracy as if it were a religion. Our culture is a vacuum of morality, meaning, and hope. Everyone, whether they know it or not, is seeking the truth in human reality. For some, bureaucracy provides a structure whereby they can gauge the values of the things in their life. For example; work, human relationships, law, rules, love, mistakes, forgiveness, discipline. Without the rigidness of bureaucracy that bus driver's life would seem (to her) as a void with no form, distance, time, or perspective. She needs bureaucracy because she lacks the creativity to arrange that formless void around her into something which makes sense.
Personally, I believe we all lack the capability to make sense of this world. Only He who created it can show us its meaning, and our own.
Bureaucracy, is a lie which places adherence to a code above human relationships, love, and individualism. Thus, the bus drivers less than personable demeanor.

mrbrandybuck

Might Stick Around
Aug 17, 2010
Massachusetts
This story reminds me of a time I was taking the bus. Where I live the fee is 1 dollar in the city and 1.50 out of town. I gave the guy a dollar because I had forgot. The bus driver reminds me that the fee is 1.50. I am carrying two very big bags full of groceries that contain glass so I wanted to put them down so I wouldn't break them fishing in my pockets for more change. I put my bags down next to the seat and the guy starts yelling at me for not paying the full-fee. So I pay him the money and he keeps yelling at me for holding up the bus (even tho I was the only person getting on and the bus was empty). I never forgot that additional 50 cents ever again.

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
No offense Mr. Igloo, but we could all post "she's a bitch" for 14 pages, or we could have a discussion and learn something about human behavior.
I really appreciated kcvet67's story because it gave me something to contemplate.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sometimes one word sums it up . I quess I could go all Sigmund Freud about it .But that always ends up the same [It is the mothers fault or the person is gay ]. The super-ego is the moral component of the psyche, which takes into account no special circumstances in which the morally right thing may not be right for a given situation . That being said we have learned something about human behavior. LMAO

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Thanks to all for the well wishes, the eye is doing well. What would have been complicated 20 years ago is quite routine today.
My experience riding buses is pretty limited, but most of the drivers have been quite nice. Particularly so when you think of what's involved in the job. A vehicle that size isn't easy to jockey around and the streets are full of idiots.
Maybe she's a really nice person who was just having a really bad day, Personally, I don't believe that. In my experience, people who behave like that do so on a regular basis. Unfortunately, we live in a world where "Common Courtesy" is going the way of "Common Sense", it's on the downhill road to extinction. The topic on "Smoking in Public - Best Experiences" shows how much a friendly word can improve our day. My experience on the bus shows how much an unfriendly word can do to ruin it.
Given that such small gestures can have such a large impact, isn't it worth the tiny amount of time it takes to treat others with respect? (Yes, even Smoke Nazis, although they make it difficult to be nice.)

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
Just got this in an email from one of my aunts, maybe it fits here.
"Every sixty seconds you spend angry, upset or mad, is a full minute of happiness you'll never get back.

Today's Message of the Day is:

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile

Send to all the people you love and don't want to lose in 2010, even me. If you get 3 back, you are a great friend.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well dance"

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
She was either jealous or had it in for you.Something tells me she was not jealous.Just be glad you don't have to live with her.Sorry you had to have that experience.That could alter a guys mind for years.Stay well my friend,stay well.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
I think a call to the bus company is in order! Of course, my inability to just "leave it be" has more than once resulted in some personal discomfort. Nonetheless....!

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
flanative, I thought about calling the bux company but the prospect of spending 20 or 30 minutes fighting my way through a computerized response system decided me against it. I imagine that the woman probably hates herself more than she hates the rest of the world. Going through life with a mind-set like hers is far worse punishment than anything I could have brought down on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.