PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Only 3 months in to pipe smoking and my first love was Macbaren #1. I had a sitting where I think I finally began to taste it, and it was amazing. The grass was so delightful. I noticed though that I had to really concentrate on puffing correctly, basically puffing as it was almost out each time to get that flavor. Unfortunately, I have not been able to experience that flavor again. I just dont have the time to be that patient to smoke it right. Now I have settled on Opening Night, Haunted Bookshop, Consolation, and Butternut Burley as my go tos. They are easy for my natural cadence. But I really want that grass again. Is there another tobacco that doesn't burn so hot and respo ds well to less patient smoke that will give me that taste I'm looking for like the Mac?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
OGS is a good, sure answer, but there are many pleasing grassy Va and Va/Per, and you're bound to like a number of them;sample in small quantities and jar those you don't like, since they age well and improve.

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
For sweet grassy virginia based blends, Orlik Golden Sliced was my knee jerk reaction also. It's easily available, reliable, and just good.
4th Generation "1855" is another I'd recommend. It's like refined VA#1 without the bite.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Plus one on the Orlik Golden Sliced. It has a light bergamot/citrus top note that really encourages your palate to pick up the flavors of the natural leaf. Some people don’t seem to detect the citrus topping, others think it’s quite strong.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
OGS for sure.
Also GL Pease Union Square. It has some red Virginia, which pushes it towards more of a medium body, but the bright Virginia in the blend provide a lot of grassy highlights.

dcicero

Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
You guys rock. Thanks for the all the replies. Geeze, I have a lot to try. I had stayed away from OGS because of the perique - not a big fan of the spice and I haven't touched my Sunday Picnic again because I think it was the perique that made it less enjoyable. From reviews though it seems that OGS is very light on the perique so I will give it a try. I'll also work my way through potentially all the others listed here. An adventure awaits.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, you probably won’t even notice the Perique, smokes more like a straight VA. Most people thought it was VaBur for many years because the manufacturer accidentally put Burley as an ingredient instead of Perique. Lol, there are still hard heads out there that refuse to believe it even has Perique. That’s the power of suggestion, very powerful indeed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You have to have extremely sensitive taste to detect Perique in OGS, but as a Virginia flake it's excellent.

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is probably my go-to virginia blend. It does have a bit more perique than OGS, but it's more of an occasional whiff than a major player. Worth checking out if you're interested in a solid bulk option

Status
Not open for further replies.