PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Stumbled upon this: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/magazine/tobacco-thats-so-brooklyn-but-made-in-belgium.html?fbclid=IwAR2BWJW6nlUoFNuA8AEaxtwzw_WuvhvUOeOeRq3S_1rVFGyJMka2OUvAUhA

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I think this is the very article that introduced Semois to the outside world, saving Semois from going completely extinct. The Americans are in someway saving our heritage: first they saved the demise of our Gueuze/lambic beers which became hugely unpopular and was doomed to fade out(All beers in Belgium used to be locally brewed sour ales until the 60ies when the pilsner took over) and now they are saving our Semois tobacco. Now please, save our Wervik tobacco as well!

Sep 18, 2015
Nice read, I’ve not seen it before, I’ve been enjoying Tobac Manil for a couple of years now, I’ve got one jar of Cordemey left and wishing I could get more, I think it has deeper flavors than the Manil.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Thanks for posting; very interesting article. I too have added this to my 'must try' list.
Started to read through the comments; some of the anti-smokers weren't pulling punches and some came across as borderline delusional.
Now please, save our Wervik tobacco as well!
What is Wervik tobacco?

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Great read. It definitely got me wanting to try some
The comments attached were also very interesting and entertaining to read. The tobacco Nazis were out in force

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That's a classic piece for sure. Like many guys here, I remember reading that article a while back. I did the TAD thing and ordered all blends of Semois right away. I still pick at it a few times a year. It's a good change of pace.

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Wervik is a town in Flanders, Belgium. They mainly grow burleys but also 'Semois' (the cultivar). I believe some of the Semois from Wervik is even used in some of the Semois tobaccos in the Walloon part. There are only a very few farmers left, since the government stopped any funding which means that right now we witness the last generation ever to commercially farm tobacco in Flanders. I have only seen their tobacco being available in the local market, so I doubt it is possible to find it online.... but so was Semois until a few years ago. Hopefully, they will also have a resurgence of interest.
Here is a little video of one of the growers:
https://www.focus-wtv.be/nieuws/tabaksoogst-ziet-er-veelbelovend-uit

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
Small correction: I believe I was wrong in assuming Wervik Semois is used in the Walloonian Semois, I should have said that it is used in the more generic named 'Semois' tobacco brands.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I tead this one a few years ago, but am glad you shared it. It’s one of the finest articles on pipe tobacco andsmoking that I’ve ever read. I have only tried one of the three blends from Tabac Manil and rather enjoy it on occasion. It’s extremely dry by design, so it requires a very tight pack.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes! I remember reading that with the forlorn sense that I would never get a chance to try it, much less have it in my "cellar." Then a member was clever enough to buy some and kind enough to send me a sample. I really thought it might not be so great, since I had actually scored a baggie. I was completely wrong. It was just my thing, and still is. Another member sent me a nearly full package, since he strongly disliked it, and sent along with it a beautiful English pipe and a full tin of Frog Morton Cellar. Needless to say, it was a moment in my pipe smoking life. Great article indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.