American Ripper Anyone? (With a Leather Covered Pipe Too)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife and I started watching the first episode of American Ripper not knowing what to expect. Well, we're still watching and finding it rather interesting, as it's mostly a documentary about H. H. Holmes, America's first serial killer and his possible link to London's Jack the Ripper. Lot's of history and some surprises about this guy narrated by his great, great grandson.

Ok, about the pipe. One of the sources for H. H. Holmes that they interview is a guy who specializes in his history, and in every scene the guy is holding a bent leather covered pipe. He never smokes it, but always has it in one of his hands. I'm not sure what the purpose is, but he seems a bit like a hipster just posturing with it. Oh well, what the hell, it's a pipe, and an interesting show. Anyone else been watching this?

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
I may have been the one to lead Mudgett to the Cylinder of his GG Grandfather. Wrote him about it some years ago. I had communicated with the owner of the cylinder who did not use the fragile excuse for not playing it. He is not into transferring to digital and I friggin knew he wasn't going to let us hear this. I had pleaded with him that even if it was not Holmes speaking its historical value was immense. Without it ever being heard it is worthless. Also, the gurus could have handled it safely.

I am starting to think Holmes could have been the Ripper. I have studied both for decades.

I hope they have a season 2 like they did with Hunt for Hitler

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
David, very cool that you have some first hand experience with this history! I felt too that the too fragile excuse was lame. Like you say it's useless unless it's heard. If no one has heard it except the owner, he could produce any cylinder and say this is what's on it, but you can't play it. I also think that the evidence is adding up to Holmes being Jack the Ripper too. Interesting show for sure.
Now sit back with your leather covered pipe, and resist the urge to tell me any spoilers.... :lol:

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I am starting to think Holmes could have been the Ripper. I have studied both for decades.
What? There is literally no possibility. I thought you said you studied both for decades.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
My statement was an opinion of what I saw. Have you watched the show? Holmes' name was on ships to Brit and from Brit before and after the Ripper Murders.
Personally, I have my own theories. I don't share them in public due to fargin eggheads who always ridicule anyone who does not see "the light" their way. Then when you find out who their best suspect is it is totally laughable.
I am not even sure the murders were performed by the same person, that being the "four for sure" murders.
Since I don't share my views publicly I can at least critique what I see in a new documentary. That I said "I'm thinking" is nothing more than a muse. If you would like to see my book collection going back 45 years hop a train

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
No I would never watch that show. It has even less credibility than an ancient astronaut theorist. This is absolute nonsense garbage for for the mindless masses. If you actually believe this sensationalist crap you really gotta re-evaluate

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Having people take jabs at others without explaining or joining in seems to be causing a lot of issues lately. I always explain my reasoning and there was no reason to challenge in some fucking superior tone.

Ask without the condemning tone. Join in, lest you be accused of trolling, or bow out... as I do. My thanks to the many wonderful people of this forum.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Look there's a difference between suspects like Kosminski, Druitt and "suspects" like Vincent van Gogh and H.H. Holmes. Holmes is a made for TV, cash grab, it's just idiotic really. I'm not arguing that I know who the Ripper is, but I sure as shit know it's not H.H. Holmes and you should too.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
pipeman7: I don't really get why you're so upset. If you don't like the show, don't watch it. If you don't agree with other members here ignore us. Obviously, we're not going to change your beliefs on the matter, nor are others going to change their beliefs by what you say. So what's the point, unless you just like arguing. Move on to some other thread you enjoy reading would be the best advice I could give. We'er all here because we enjoy pipe smoking, not to try to get others to come over to the way we think. (unless you're the captain of the Black Frigate, whom we must all obey!) :lol:
Also waiting to hear any comments on the leather covered pipe that the "expert" keeps brandishing.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I'm not upset, I mean it is sad to see how gullible people are. But yea H.H. Holmes wasn't the Ripper, I was just surprised to see someone say they are knowledgeable on the Ripper and still consider this theory...confusing to me

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi guys
I live in London and one of my favourite areas to walk around is Whitechapel. It's an area I know pretty well and I reckon I could give a fairly reasonable 'Ripper Tour' if I had to. These days it is mostly occupied by the Bangladeshi community - they replaced the Jewish/Polish/Irish communities who lived there in 1888.
Almost none of the original sites are still there: Time, as well as Nazi bombs, have seen to that. However, there is enough left to convey an impression of the times. For instance, the 'Frying Pan' pub was the last place Mary Nichols was seen alive - the building is still there at the beginning of Brick Lane (named after the brick factories that used to be there) but these days is occupied by a Balti restaurant.
2017 or 1888, it was a very busy district of London: overcrowded and active 24 hours of the day. It is almost certain that, whoever committed the Whitechapel murders, he was a local man who knew the streets and could pass unnoticed. Someone, who was not out of place there.
I very much doubt anyone will ever solve this one: but I would be willing to bet the farm, that if it were solved, it would be someone stunning in their ordinariness, not at all like most of the people in all the wild theories.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.