Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pressgo

Lurker
Aug 8, 2017
Hello, I have been trying to absorb as much as I can on this hobby and every now and then I'll come across a post where someone will say, "I don't own any pipes by an American artisan." Or something along those lines. Anyway, why is that? Can someone explain this pipe owning stance? Granted, during my groggy midnight pipe googling I may have stumbled across the same threads without knowing it but I think I've seen this more than a few times.
Edited by Cosmic: Please remember to capitalize the title.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Find that/those post(s) again and ask the author. I don't own any artisan pipes from any maker, from any part of the world. Should you wish to know why, I've never found one I liked enough to want to purchase it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hello, I have been trying to absorb as much as I can on this hobby and every now and then I'll come across a post where someone will say, "I don't own any pipes by an American artisan." Or something along those lines. Anyway, why is that? Can someone explain this pipe owning stance?
I can think of a couple of possible reasons. The poster likes the esthetics of certain foreign carvers. The poster is a snob, or poseur, and wants to impress with his ability to spend thousands on expensive foreign pipes. The poster is ignorant. The poster is dimwitted. The last two reasons seem to me to be the most likely.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Classic English pipes have very specific shapes. Italian pipes have certain looks or styles, but they vary by "school" or region ie: the Pesaro school versus the Castello family tree. Danish pipes are typically freehands. North America is no different. There is a certain look, or looks, to them. Some folks simply prefer one style over others. Some, like me, like more than one. I am not a fan of Danish freehands, but love classic English shapes and the Italian aesthetic, especially the Castello lineage. Smoke what appeals to you.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I personally think American pipe makers (collectively), are making as fine a smoking pipe as you'll find anywhere in the world. I could rattle off the name of a couple of dozen whose works are highly acclaimed - worldwide. I read threads on here constantly from the membership who praise an American hand made pipe that they have recently purchased and smoked. So, I am, frankly, mystified that the poster has not seen many of those since they are all over the place here.
In any event, my own personal collection is made up of pipes made mostly by Americans. Since I go to so many pipe shows each year I have been blessed to meet and get to know many of them in person, to the point where they are true friends. So, I am positive that adds to the enjoyment of smoking their pipes. I can't count the times that I've selected an American hand made pipe from my rack and as I light it up, the pipe brings back great memories of the carver him/herself, and my association with them.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
I collect artisan pipes from all over the world. I don't discriminate if I like the pipe and I have the funds I pull the trigger. Maybe that's my problem...I like way too many pipes that I see, freehands, classic shapes, small pipes, large pipes. Yes I have a problem

pressgo

Lurker
Aug 8, 2017
Mr. Warren, same here. Only own cobs at the moment and one strambach calabash I recently acquired since I read it can enhance the smoking experience.
The other reasons mentioned make sense. I thought it was more of a brand/region loyalty thing or some type of alternate engineering.
I only ask cause I find myself staring at artisan pipes lately. Mainly American. I'm still all about the tobaccos - trying as many as possible is a goal of mine, but I keep coming back to admire these pipes. It's funny, when I began this hobby last Christmas I never really paid much attention to pipes outside of cobs. Now its a whole different story.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I am pleased to own hand carved pipes from artisans of three countries: The US, Texas, and Brazil. Scotty Pierson, Ryan Alden and Gustavo Cunha respectively.
I agree that eschewing pipes from any country just because it isn't from one particular country is short sighted if not down right stupid. Odd snobbism.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The OP, who I fear may never reappear, never said it was a case of "would never own an American" made artisan. Only that he read a person saying he "didn't own an American artisan." If there was bias in that statement, it is only in the mind of the OP. His next statement could easily have been, "But, I'm always looking."

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Put simply, anyone you've encountered who thinks American artisans are inherently inferior doesn't have a clue. There are many carvers in the states who make fantastic pipes in terms of quality and smoking, and styling is 100% subjective anyway. Whatever style you find yourself drawn to is what you should explore. Personally I think discovering your own tastes as they evolve is one of most fun things about this hobby, learning about the history of different styles and trading/selling pipes as your preferences change. You started with TAD, now welcome to PAD! :D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Sorry about that! Mea culpa. I read your recent post but, didn't note the name. I must pay a bit more attention.
So now I can ask my question, "Why did you infer from the message you quoted that the writer didn't like American carvers? Or, thought them to be inferior?" Was there more to the message?

pressgo

Lurker
Aug 8, 2017
It was during my search on a whole range of pipe subjects on different forums. From smooth/sandblast, bent/straight, breath method etc. I remember coming across a few threads where someone chimed in and mentioned not owning an American artisan pipe. It stuck in my mind and I wondered about it. However without knowing where those posts are you could very well be right. I may have inferred more than what they meant. Either way, I never took it as a subject of inferiority, I thought it was more of a brand/region loyalty thing or some type of alternate engineering.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I own, or have owned pipes by Jesse Jones, Mark Tinsky, Craig Cooper, John Walls, and others. These all remain some of my favorite pipes! I am hoping yo grab another one from Jesse at the NASPC show.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I think it's a bit unfair to cast aspersion on anyone who owns or collects American hand made pipes (or any hand made pipe for that matter); Metaphorically, it's like someone who drinks Bubba Cola attacking someone who drinks Coke. Honestly... we're all drinking soda pop.
I think Pipestud hit the nail on the head--- I agree wholeheartedly on what he mentioned about associative terms, and will add that the overall performance and comfort is worth saving up for.

Status
Not open for further replies.