PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That was a good time to get 'em, before all that flying around started.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
To borrow a coinage from your side of the pond, Jay; there's no hinterland.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Jay, maybe you missed it, or are in denial, but we took control of everything in the 1700’s.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yet another indicator how frail is the sense of history. Many or most college grads can't line up the sequence of any wars after the Civil War, if that. Placing air fields in the Revolutionary War should be a punchline to be immediately retracted amidst laughter, but not so much today. Apparently teachers are not assigning reading, and the textbooks are seriously deficient. If you read education curriculum texts at the college level, you begin to sense how deep the problems run.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Most of us Americans are ashamed of the buffoon currently in office, but lets not forget we won our independence from an absurd English king. At least we don't suffer the embarrassment of the English monarchy. Or, for that matter, the fiasco of "Brexit".
American airmen died in defense of your country. Show some respect.
Regards,

Sean

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Yet another indicator how frail is the sense of history. Many or most college grads can't line up the sequence of any wars after the Civil War, if that."
How so true Tom, but the statement on my original post came from the 'genius' whose name must not be mentioned on this forum!I
"Or, for that matter, the fiasco of "Brexit"."
Couldn't agree more Seldom :D
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
PLEASE Alaskanpiper, let us not politicize this story...that's how threads get closed down. You're a newcomer here so perhaps you're not aware of the Forum rules?
"Or, for that matter, the fiasco of "Brexit"."
Couldn't agree more Seldom :D
Come on, man..............
But, yes, yet another hilarious flub by our esteemed leader. I don't think anyone is surprised anymore. In fact, most of the Weekend Update segments on Saturday Night Live these days are just clips of Trump speaking. They don't even have to write jokes about it, it's funny enough as is. Think whatever you please about his politics, but erudite public speaking is certainly not his strong suit, hahaha.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Come on, man.............."
Point taken chum (and quite expected) but my response was to a comment on Brexit, hardly anything that concerns your average American. I never mentioned anyone by their personal name, though oddly you did 8O then try to pass the buck to me.
A level playing field springs to mind.
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
hardly anything that concerns your average American.
It should. But maybe I am not your average American.
There have been quite a few moments when European/UK interaction ended up impacting the United States quite a bit. Some of them actually DID involve quite a few airfields, if memory of my shoddy american education serves me well...
I never mentioned anyone by their personal name, though oddly you did 8O then try to pass the buck to me.
Yeah, I don't really care if you talk about politics or not, merely pointing out the blatant hypocrisy. Not meant as a slight toward you in any way, I just found it particularly funny. And you are correct, I did say his name, and although you didn't, I think we all know who you are talking about. I don't think the spirit of the rule is regarding a series of letters appearing on the forum in a correct order, it is to limit the occurrence of politically inclined thread topics ......such as this one..........that lead to conversations that have nothing to do with tobacco or pipes..........such as this one.......so I'll stop here.........hopefully

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I clicked this thread thinking for sure that Jeremy Reeves had come up with another small batch. :puffpipe:

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
One model not on display in the case in Captain Picard's office, was of the Civil War incident, where they were showcasing the use of hot air balloons and signal flags over a battlefield to give the generals an idea what the enemy was up to. The balloon was tethered by the White House grounds, and its name was . . . "Enterprise."

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Re-reading my post, let me write this. I came across too belligerent to our esteemed member from Cornwall, whose commentary I always enjoy. I apologize.

In spite of miserable leadership in the world, I've found people from all countries I've visited to be remarkably similar and pleasant. I'm American, love my country, but think the leadership doesn't measure up to the values and intellect of her people. I recognize that most countries suffer from this problem too.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Seldom, no problem, apology not required but duly accepted. I will say this that I was surprised to hear such from one whom I've always had good relations with and have respected on this forum. I almost sent a polite PM but feared stoking a hornet's nest so held back.
Anyway, all now water under the bridge so happy to move on :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I'll kick an apology your way as well mawnansmiff, probably got a little more testy than I should have. I have some strong opinions about things and I can get a bit overzealous.
I am the CEO of an engineering firm here in Alaska and I have a new 2 month old baby at home, so I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep these days, which doesn't help me keep my attitude in check, haha.
Apologies for hijacking your thread a bit.
I have enjoyed talking beer and whiskey with you in your other thread. Cheers!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
And yet, here is another political discussion.

And not all Americans are ashamed of the legally elected president.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Well said pappymac. All the political B.S. north and south of the border and across the pond is so very tiresome to me.....
60685451_2208370832561843_6756396741051809792_n-553x600.jpg

Lib or Con enough is enough please :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.