PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Thank you Sirs! I appreciate it!
Tom, that was my goal, whether I moved away by the TAPS show or not. I was hoping I could make several examples from Pine, Walnut, more Maple like this one or whatever I can find at my local Woodcraft store and bring them to the TAPS show just to get it out there.
I think it was Anthony I that were talking one night about getting my basic rack together made from pine as a starting point, figuring out what all my materials and basic bottom price would be, then adding cost to it for higher grade/different types of wood. So say a Pine rack would run one price, maybe the Maple would run $20-$30 more, and Walnut would be more like double to triple, cause Walnut ain't cheap at all, unless I could find some on a deal somewhere. I really can't believe how expensive it is, or at least was at the time of this build.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know how the table rental at TAPS balances against the sales, but I think there's a better than even chance that you'd sell any you brought. I think you just need a pipe audience. At a flea market, I think you'd have too many lookers who aren't interested in pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
I think you just need a pipe audience. At a flea market, I think you'd have too many lookers who aren't interested in pipes.
At TAPS he's more likely to sell them more quickly, of course. But a flea market attracts all sorts, looking for all sorts of stuff. Who's to say someone interested in pipes or pipe racks isn't going to show up at a flea market? Automatically writing it off is writing off a chance at some sells.
Do you know anyone that wears those old 70's and 80's style straw western hats with the huge feather display on the front of the hat band? Like this?
bbe84bde95ed4bea1978bcb2cd4e8115.jpg

Yeah, I don't know anyone that wears those either. But you know where I'd go to find one if I wanted one? And where I'd likely find it? And likely see a few people wearing one? Yep.... the flea market.
Crap... now that I've seen one of those again, I kinda want one :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.