PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Transitioning from cigar to pipe and thoroughly enjoying the experience. Reading forums such as this one and articles elsewhere, much as been said about McClelland and Dunhill tobaccos - amazing reviews all around. Did I miss out on enjoying these before I even started? After reading about McClelland's in particular, many of them sound like I would love to give them a try. Any suggestions on getting my hands on some or some other brands I should try that you would suggest?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, McClelland is gone, and the Dunhill blends on the market are all that's left. Buy while you can.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
There are plenty of blends to enjoy beyond these two producers.
If you don't try them, you'll never miss them.
Pipes & Cigar's deal of the month is buy two, get one free on the Hearth & Home tins.
The evil genius behind those blends is a virtual friend of the forum and a well respected blender.
I recommend you read over them and pick 3 different styles to try.
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/hearth-home-buy-2-get-1-free/2010833/
Report back here with your findings, as we all live vicariously through the posts of others and we love watching the slow, grinding process of a new biped being sucked down the same rabbit hole.... :nana:
And, welcome to the forum!
jay-roger.jpg

EDIT: And hurry up! There's way more blends sold out today than when I last looked yesterday...

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
Did I miss out on enjoying these before I even started?
I made the switch a few months before you -- just by luck I managed to order a couple Frog Morton Cellar before they stopped production. I've opened one tin and have 2 more in my cellar. But like others have said, there is a lot of tobacco out there and I'm not going to regret something I've never had.
Welcome to the forum, by the way!

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I felt the same way when I started, then I met GL Pease, Rattrays, Hearth and Home, Peter Stokkebye...this list goes on.
Just prepare yourself for your emergency funds to take a back seat while you start your collecting. Even the tobacco I smoked and didn't like right away, I would go back to it after some time and get a different experience (usually better).
Smoke slow and enjoy what you smoke! Welcome to the forums!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Alternative to my previous suggestion. If you're a bit of a gambler with the selections and want to save a few bucks, fellow forum member woopigpiper is selling 8-tin sample packs of H&H blends for pretty cheap (2 each of 4 different blends):
Click HERE
jay-roger.jpg

maker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2018
I just got into pipes this year. I get the impression that the days of great USA grown pipe tobacco is waning so get it while you can.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You didn't miss out if you have enough money. :)
My three favorite companies, Dunhill, McClelland, and Wessex. So, imagine how I feel. :cry:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not really. There are at least a half dozen good American blenders. And US blenders employ some leaf from outside the US, and European blenders use much tobacco from the US

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
There’s plenty of Mcclelland blends available, just not retail.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Dunhill is still available until current stock sells out, so buy it while you can. McClelland can be found at about 5 times retail. There are a lot of other blends available that are terrific, like those from GL Pease, Hearth & Home, C&D, Wilke, HU, Mac Baren, Fribourg and Treyer, Germain's, Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, Peter Stokkebye, Rattray's, Solani, Wessex, Peretti, and more. McClelland produced a high quality tobacco, especially their Virginias, that many adored. But no one blender gets universal approval. Many didn't like McClelland blends, citing them as being rather one dimensional. I like McClelland Red Virginias and some of their other blends, but no more than blends made by the other brands cited above. Different blenders have different styles, something for everyone.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
There are a lot of other blends available that are terrific, like those from GL Pease, Hearth & Home, C&D, Wilke, HU, Mac Baren, Fribourg and Treyer, Germain's, Samuel Gawith, Gawith and Hoggarth, Peter Stokkebye, Rattray's, Solani, Wessex, Peretti, and more.
Yeah.... but let's not kid ourselves. They're not McClelland. Except maybe Wessex. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Of late, the forums have been flooded with threads extolling the virtues of McClelland blends, and bemoaning the marque's demise. But I think this was the result of selection bias, wherein those who loved the blends contributed most of such posts. Those who don't think McClelland was all that good just remained silent -- conceding the site's bandwidth to the fans.
IMO, you didn't miss all that much -- unless you're into tobacco that smells and tastes like ketchup, literally! (Even exalting reviewers would invariably add that the ketchup essence "doesn't translate into the taste", or "dissipates quickly", or some other ameliorative comment.) For sure, it was quality tobacco, but don't rue your late entry into the pastime. There are a lot of blends available that the silent majority hold in higher esteem.

bannyc9

Might Stick Around
Apr 1, 2018
Thanks all. As you all know, the amount that comes at you when you first start smoking pipes can be daunting - from the plethora of pipe makers to the never ending list of tobacco brands and blends. There is an amazing amount of variables and honestly I think this is what is making the start of the this journey so enjoyable. It was reassuring to know "newbies" can come to a forum such as this fine one and research/ get answers/ learn from years of experience.
Cheers!

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Those who don't think McClelland was all that good just remained silent
I don't think that there are many members who think that McClelland is/was not that good. Almost everything they made was good. Whether you like McClelland blends or not is a different story...but you can't deny that they made very good blends.
Nine out of ten dentists agree that McClelland Virginias are some (if not the best) blends that were ever produced.

Status
Not open for further replies.