Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Subtle!
So screw all that whining about McClelland and Dunhill! Especially Dunhill, which hasn't been Dunhill in years. There's a great big world of blends out there for smokers to enjoy. And if you just have to have McDun or the sun won't rise in your world, then just grab your ankles and yell "Take me!" to all the scalpers on eBay. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Wait, Planta makes blends for other companies?
Isn't Brebbia Balkan blended by Planta? That's what I remember.
So screw all that whining about McClelland and Dunhill! Especially Dunhill, which hasn't been Dunhill in years. There's a great big world of blends out there for smokers to enjoy. And if you just have to have McDun or the sun won't rise in your world, then just grab your ankles and yell "Take me!" to all the scalpers on eBay.
:clap:
Edit: Yup, a quick search on tobaccoreviews says that Planta blends Brebbia products and some others.

Cool to know about Planta. Thanks.
There are several Sutliff blends that I really like. 1849 is one that I cellar deeply. But, my joke wasn't serious at all. I didn't want to pick on a site sponsor, and Sutliff already has that tongue and cheek camaraderie, with even Brian having to stutter about when he talks about them on the radioshow. It just wouldn't have been funny to call someone encouraging Virginias a C&D schill... hmmmm... unless we call someone a C&D burley schill. I'll note that one for next time, ha ha.
Plus, I amuse myself thinking about a guy at Sutliff yelling across the factory floor, "Clean all of the ketchup out of mixer number 3, and clean it good. We have to run some Blueberry Jubilee next." :puffy:
Ok, OK, so enough with the Sutliff jokes. I did have a bowl of one of one of their burley broken flakes of some sort at Pipe Club last night. It was very good. I can't remember the name though. It wasn't an aromatic. Very tasty.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Regarding McClelland's lack of popularity before going out of business, it's interesting to relate this thread to robcapp's necro-bump:

Apologies for the old thread revival... I was looking through past threads and found this great thread.
It was fun to read the responses.....and it was very interesting to see how few people would have put away any McClellands blends!

This would have made a great social experiment in how the desirability changes based on availability / scarcity.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/20-lbs-thats-the-limit#post-1205850
Kudos to Jesse for the prescient way he documented our preferences in that old thread.
So, no, banny, you didn't miss all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.