PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Perhaps Wessex used some McClelland components in their blends??? hmmm. I'm still trying to figure out which Hearth & Home/Scotty's/etc. blends had McClelland components in them and are they still on the shelves? One I'm pretty sure on was Scotty's Old Red and that appears to be extinct these days too.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
Funny, this is probably my favorite Virginia blend: https://www.4noggins.com/sutliff-altadis-bulk-dunhillelizabethan.aspx
I love that Elizabethan MATCH. I like a bunch of their match blends. The Presbyterian Mixture MATCH is another real winner.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you’re really feeling compelled to try McClelland then wait for the current fervor to abate and get a tin of 40th Anniversary and put it aside for a special occasion when you’ve got smoking a pipe figured out.
Until then a few to add to what was mentioned would be GLP Chelsea Morning, Quiet Nights, Key Largo, Union Square, Temple Bar, Westminster.

At P&C there are Firestorm, Magnum Opus, Classic Burley Kake, Anniversary Kake.

Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, heck, waaay too many good blends out there for one lifetime.
Find what you really like and cellar what you can. Tobacco will never be cheaper or more available than it is now.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
50-so years of pipe smokimg I never cared for any McClelland or Dunhill blends.
McC's virginia ? Pffft. Samuel Gawith blows them away. (i.e FVF and Best Brown to name a few)
GL Pease and S. Gawith are top of the line. IMHO.

Wait, Planta makes blends for other companies? I had always imagined that they were a tiny company with their limited selection of just aromatics. I thought that maybe someone else made their blends. But, that was just my guessing while looking at their selections. They don't have the diversity that Sutliff does, knowing that Sutliff makes blends for several other blenders.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
not to be an ass but McClelland was the best, in my opinion. That said, lots of great tobacco still available. H&H, GLP, Solani, Germains, etc. Recently Dunhill tobacco not too stellar.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
According to tobacco reviews, Kohlhase & Kopp and Mac Baren manufacture them.
Good to know!
Wait, Planta makes blends for other companies?
Yep. And people here also thought that Sutliff only made aros with their "second rate" leaf. Little did they know that McClelland used a lot of that "second rate" leaf in their blends. Sutliff supplies leaf, or creates blends, for a number of different labels. Surprise! :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This is how I knew about Russ's connection.
img_20170620_120507.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.