PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I smoke about once a week. My wife doesn’t like that I smoke at all and chewing tobacco is easier to use at work. So I usually only smoke on a weekend, when I want to relax. That seems like a lot, but if you are addicted to nicotine and this is the only way you consume it, that sounds about normal. I go through a can and half a day of dip.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If you want to cut down I'll share my experience. I had difficulty cutting down from a bowl per day after my kid was born, but wanted to try and minimize any health risk to me or exposure for her. I tried gum, it sucked. patches are worthless. So I started using Swedish snus after reading some studies on it's health impacts, or relative lack thereof. That led me to a product made by the same Swedish manufacturer, which is Zyn or Dryft tobacco free nicotine pouches. They are nothing but tobacco-derived nicotine salt and food grade gum ingredients, but go in your lip like a regular pouch. I go through about two cans a week of them (30-40 pouches total) which runs about $5 per can. They come in 3mg and 6mg (Zyn) or 2mg and 7mg (Dryft). They are much more satisfying to me than gum, and sustain me through the weekdays until I finally have my one weekly bowl, which I am now fine enjoying as a weekend treat. It sure makes my cellar last alot longer. I went from having 5 years worth to 35 years worth overnight.
I also chew the occasional clump of Gawith Rope or General Snus, and/or allow myself a bowl per day when on vacation, or on special occasions. (Hunting, Fishing, Holidays, etc.)
Whether or not you smoke too much is obviously up to you, but I figured I'd share my experience FWIW. Still hoping to cut out the nicotine pouches completely at some point, but baby steps, as they say. Down to alternating between 2 and 3mg ones at this point. Aside from vaping (which I did for about a year before quitting), they are the only thing that has worked for me as far as cutting down on smoking is concerned.
Nicotine has been an up and down cycle for me since I was 16. A constant love/hate battle. Why the powers that be had to make everything that feels good in this world terrible for you I'll never know :(

Reactions: UncleRasta
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

... everything is relative. I don't think 8 a day is too much, but 12? That's a hecka day of smoking pipes. At least, to me it is.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Too much for what? If you can afford it and it isn't causing noticeable health issues, I suppose you're fine. Why do you ask? Are you really enjoying it? I smoke 5 or 6 bowls per day most days. I don't think my mouth and tongue could handle 8 to 12.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I guess I don't really think about it, if I'm honest. When circumstances permit, I pretty much smoke as much as I feel like, and most days that's a lot. For whatever reasons, though, I seem to be just naturally tapering down, which is great news for my cellar, if nothing else.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Number of bowls, of course, is dependent on size of bowls. But there a lot of light weights in this thread. :lol: I smoke 6-8 smaller bowls in the morning, 4-6 at noon in a larger bowl, and 4 bowls in the evening in my largest pipes, with some days having a fourth smoking session mid-afternoon.

Reactions: magnumsmoker

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Two to too.
I too wished to smoke more than my usual two bowls a day.
So now I smoke two to three.
Ha! I think you got it. My original "Two to too" refers to the fact the the OP used "to" twice, once in the title and once in the body. It was an incorrect spelling and should have been "too". Moreover "to" was used twice. So "two to too".

Having explained my word play I've ruined it. Ah well.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ha! I think you got it. My original "Two to too" refers to the fact the the OP used "to" twice, once in the title and once in the body. It was an incorrect spelling and should have been "too". Moreover "to" was used twice. So "two to too".

Having explained my word play I've ruined it. Ah well.

Too much the or two much the? Double the.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I guess it's the quality of the experience I would take into consideration.

I smoke several bowls in a day. I have times when a pipe burns more effectively what I've packed and I'm not chuffing it like a madman and the flavors are delicious.

Most are tasty and contemplative.

I smoke a mix of D&R: 3 Sails/TwoTimer/Picayune, pretty much all the time.

I do feel as though my nicotine desires are my primary motive. (the first month or so that I smoked a drug store MM cob, I inhaled.)

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Being in the horse breeding business all my life, it's hard to collect semen from a stallion while smoking a pipe (amongst other chores), which is usually done during the morning/early afternoons. So, even though I'm retired now, I only smoke in the late afternoon/evening time because of that...I usually smoke 3 to 4 bowls during that time.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
Wow, I never thought of the horse breeding business as taking up so much of the day.
You'd be amazed. If it wasn't the standard chores of haying the fields, cleaning stalls, feeding, collecting semen, etc., with nearly 40 mares on the farm and 7 stallions (depending on when you took count), you either had foal watch (which is staying up all night waiting for a mare to foal), or waking up in the middle of the night because a couple of stallions broke out and were trying to kill each other. Fortunately I had a great ranch hand to help out...he and his wife still live on the farm in fact.

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
Ashdigger said:
is this a trick question [/quote)

Not a trick question. But if it was, what would your answer be? Lol :nana

I’m still learning how to use this forum.......could take years lol :roll:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
It sounds like you are smoking way too much. Since you're a fellow forum member, I would be willing to accept half of your tobacco cellar so that you will be less tempted to smoke so may pipes each day :puffy:

• Haha

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
it's hard to collect semen from a stallion while smoking a pipe
I'm quite certain that sentence has never been uttered here before.
And I suspect it's never before been said anywhere by anyone.

smokingwizard

Lurker
Aug 11, 2019
Hay lawdawg, now that’s taking advantage of an old man. But I will gladly trade you some of my baccy for some of your pipes lol :laughat:

Status
Not open for further replies.