PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2013
As I started to smoke pipes 3 weeks ago I have questions regarding how to smoke pipes. A tobacconist in Vienna told me that the correct way to smoke a pipe was to inhale with the nose and by creating a vacuum inside the mouth it absorbs the smoke from the pipe. So every time I'm smoking I do as I was told, and I enjoy it very very much. By doing this I feel connected with my pipe.
Can I have your thoughts please?
Thanks!

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
This sounds to me like "breath smoking", where normal nose breathing while the pipe is in place creates enough pressure flow in the mouth to create very gentle draws. If so, it's a GREAT piece of advice.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums! That is a great trick to really get the full flavor of some of those subtler blends. I would just err on the side of caution with some stronger blends.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I don't think, there is a "correct" way to smoke a pipe. There are enjoyable ways, and not so enjoyable ways to smoke a pipe, but none of them is correct or incorrect. Which tobacconist was it BTW?
Kind regards,

Peter

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
Funny thing, I'll also be smoking the pipe again for 3 weeks as of tomorrow. I try to breath through my nose while I'm smoking...

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Yes I do this as well. Not all the time but in the last 10+mo I've really learned alot am lately it seems its all falling into place with slowing right down. I love it and it's very relaxing

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
From my perspective, as long as you are not setting your beard on fire, you are doing an OK job of smoking a pipe. As you practice, you will find ways to make it more enjoyable. I don't care how often I have to re-light. That gives me a chance to enjoy my Zippo again. Thus just relax and enjoy the flavor.
But obviously, if you can't blow a smoke ring and sail a ship through it like Gandalf does in the movie, you are a failure as a pipe smoker.
Winton

jservant98

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2013
Southern Oregon
Sounds like you are doing just fine. I had to learn to slow down alot, I am a former cig smoker so I was trying to smoke my pipe that way.....I didnt work out well at all, coughing and major tongue bite!! I guess I have kind of a thick head! lol. Some of us have to learn the hard and painful way..

scrapyardape

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 9, 2013
Florida gulfcoast
But obviously, if you can't blow a smoke ring and sail a ship through it like Gandalf does in the movie, you are a failure as a pipe smoker.
I can do that!
Of course it looks like one shapeless blob of smoke colliding with another shapeless blob of smoke, but let's not split hairs, shall we? :mrgreen:

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I don't remember ever asking these questions 30 years ago. It's a good thing you did. Just don't get jaded now. It was the difficult bowls that were unsatisfying, and kept me trying.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is only one correct way to smoke a pipe, light the tobacco, draw the smoke into your mouth, either exhale through your nose or your mouth. Other than those two options, I don't know where else the smoke will go, that is unless you can blow it out your ass, which might alter the flavor just a tad. lol

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I retrohale also. I don't know when or why I started. I think it came naturally to me. The thing that I'm always reminding myself is to go slow. When you think you're going slow enough, go slower. When you've finally gone too slow, the pipe will go out and you start over. lol

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Harris-
Your particular suggested technique could really produce a rather....aromatic room note
Though, some blends may be improved by it.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I understand retrohaling to simply be exhaling smoke through the nose. Breath smoking seems to be what is described above by konsciousdreams. Thoughts? I say smoke how you enjoy. Breath smoking isn't for me. I personally prefer to puff rather than sip. I like larger quantities of smoke, and I tend to retrohale the last small bit of smoke from each draw. I do find it enhances the experience of the tobacco. To each his or her own.
Welcome and enjoy,

Bill

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
The way you describe smoking sounds perfect, especially if you're enjoying it.
For the record, the understanding I have is:

retrohaling = Taking smoke into the mouth and then exhaling the smoke threw the nose.
Breath Smoking = Clenching a pipe and inhaling threw your nose so pressure draws smoke into the mouth.
In retrohaling - you can draw the smoke in however you please, and in breath smoking, you can puff the smoke out however you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.