PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Hey everyone!
I am new to the whole pipe smoking community and already I am on my way to collecting a good amount of pipes (or so I think) and burning a hole in my wallet.

The first pipe a purchased was a plastic pipe that might be labeled "durable" and to be honest I don't enjoy it one bit so I decided to go shopping online and purchase more.

To my dismay, the first pipe I purchased off of ebay was smaller than I expected but I am the one to blame being that they did include a picture with the pipe by a ruler.

This now leads me to more shopping and I am a bit worried that I might already be suffering from PAD, since I plan on purchasing two more pipes today along with a pipe rack/humidor that includes some pipes.

Should I be worried?! My thoughts tell me that you have to start somewhere :p but maybe I am going a tad bit overboard.

As soon as I figure out how to attach pictures to my posts I will include photos of my young yet growing pipe collection!

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Yup, its a disease, and you caught it in the worst way. Whats done is done, you have to just start justifying the expense like the rest of us do. Good Luck and God Speed :rofl:

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That is somewhat comforting and nerve wracking at the same time :eek: but I will be honest and say that at this point I don't see myself regretting it at all haha

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
If your married you'd better start working on excuses now, good practice make perfect. :mrgreen:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
There is one cure but I dare not say...the significant other threatens to stop putting out...then the power play you tell them you will quit if they put out more if they stop or lessen then you can go back to it. There I said it and now the wife just read it. 8O
Um yeah I will talk to you guys later...maybe.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
This could help. Get yourself banned from ebay and 86'd from all local pipe shops. Or.........just enjoy and rationalize. Justifying pipe or tobacco purchases with a stupid rationalization can be quite creative and amusing. Here is a good one..... With all the turmoil in the world, briar production could cease, so I better start buying up some good pipes quick. PAD anonymous...... Hello everyone, my name is Waznyf, and I can't quit buying pipes. :evil:

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
@lazydog

That sounds like a great plan haha. Can we start a PADA here in the forums?

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
If I can I would like to offer some advice based on my own experience.I bought a lot of pipes over the years that I no longer have..When you get a pipe smoke it find out if there's something about it that you don't like.For example the length,the bowl size and shape bowl thickness if the stem is bent how much.Is the pipe comfortable in your hand.Things like these will help you determine how selective your pipe buying should be rather than spending a lot of money on pipes at random that you might not like well enough later on to keep.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
Hahaha welcome to the club! I've suffered from PAD longer than I've been smoking (I'm currently 18 and just beginning to enjoy smoking my pipes). I used to have a collection of 7 pieces (two clay curchwardens, two nice old bent billiards made of briar, a gourd calabash, a walnut pot, and a very nice old meerschaum pipe carved to look like the bow of a ship) all of which were lost to my younger brother's hands and later a flood we had. I was especially heart broken over the loss of the meerschaum pipe, which was a gift from a friend that is no longer with us. I am slowly beginning to start my collection anew, something that my wallet is not enjoying. As for PADA...my name is Cody and i cant stop buying pipes. :puffy:

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Well, I have to add myself to the PADA. The only thing -and only advice I can give- is that as I suffer from other collections and passions, it is a good thing to specialize. Focus on just one or two microworlds within the pipe universe (or anything else that you get passionated about).
That makes you an sniper instead of a machine gun guy, and the fun of the research and search feeds the worm. Then, when you get to find your item, it is a lot more pleasurable...

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Glad to know we all seem to suffer from PAD!

I'm getting ready to post my collection soon so others can see it. My wallet is hurting a little but I'll slow down quite a bit (or so I hope) once I get the last couple pipes and get settle into the hobby.

Always was one to jump in head first to things, and usually regretted it but something tells me I won't regret this in the long run! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.