PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This move by Photobucket is criminal. People do not have $60 a year for each application or service they use. It needs to drop to something more like $15, because people are going to need multiple services.
One of the few things in this failing economy -- long term terminal cycle -- that has improved is the cost of electronic gadgets. A computer is no longer a $3-10k proposition; it is a $500 device. This is an awesome change! But correspondingly, software prices need to fall.
If I pay $6 a month per cable channel, application, web site, podcast, and newspaper, as they all want me to do, it will add up to a few computers a year, when the general rule for consumer computing is less than half the cost of the gadget in software.
Photobucket wants to squeeze people who want two things: (1) a place to host images, and (2) a place to host albums. #1 is better taken care of by free hosts, and #2 is insane anyway unless you like getting cyber-stalked. I agree with whoever said to use the image hosting on this site; it's kludgy but safer than your other options.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And, this site's album won't disappear until the site does, which we all hope is after 2218. But I also like Imgur and postimage, though there's no guarantee they will not end up charging.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Personally, I don't think individuals are entitled to any free online programs. If a vendor offers them, that is a bonus. For many years, I hosted pipe photos on Photobucket and previous to that WebShots. Both went from free to paid services. I believe for each of these vendors, they cater to professional photographers, who sell their photographs and services. I have a hard time begrudging either of those platforms to ask for pay. I post my pipe photos, many of which are used to sell pipes. To this point, I've done this at no charge,so I really have no basis to gripe. My only concern with paying for this platforms is longevity. In this age, how long will Photobucket survive? Webshots dropped their free service five or six years ago. Previous to that, they were the chosen online photo host, then replaced by Photobucket. It looks like Webshots has survived, but I can't recall the last time I encountered a photo hosted by them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I don't trust Imgur because of its associations with Reddit. I would rather not be censored by the small-minded martinet ideologues, if you know what I mean.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Personally, I don't think individuals are entitled to any free online programs. If a vendor offers them, that is a bonus.
I agree, but then be upfront about it. Sites lure people in then spring the trap.
In any event, the Net is about to become monetized at all levels, so it's going to cost a lot more to keep using it.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In any event, the Net is about to become monetized at all levels, so it's going to cost a lot more to keep using it.
Fast lanes existed before "nut nootrality" went away.
The internet works as a military/academic network... but not as a commercial one.
I look forward to more competition breaking up the FAANG monopolies.

Status
Not open for further replies.