PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
^^^ it’s always available at my local B&M as well. It’s one of the only ones in the line that they consistently have.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Yes, I have procured a good deal of Margate from the kindly gentleman known here as Bostoneo.
Hawky, if you feel comfortable telling me the name of your local B&M (here or in a PM), I would be much obliged.
Other blends I'm wondering about in this regard: Star of the East, Stratfordshire, Odyssey, Meridian, Samarra, Kensington, Ashbury. Any quick impressions?

I ordered some Abingdon, White Knight and Charing Cross last night. I'll open the Westminster tomorrow, with high hopes.

Thanks folks.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Margate is rather unique due to the topping. There are countless other English/Balkan blends that have some similarities. What's similar to you is unlikely to be similar for other people as it is personal taste. Point is, if you love Margate, then why not simply buy all you can when it is available? Had I wanted to, I could have easily accumulated 5 to 10 pound of Margate in the past 8 weeks and if I wanted to put in some effort, I am confident I could have accumulated 10 to 20 lb. I personally think it is okay but not great, however, that's just to my tastes. But why look for an alternative when there seems to be plenty of the Margate available if you really want it?
If what you really meant to say is that you want to step out and try some other "somewhat similar" blends, that's a different story. There's been over a dozen mentioned that are good blends on their own and in many cases, better than Margate IMHO. You could buy a tin of each for less than $150. Step out and try some other things, you might surprise yourself.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Margate is rather unique due to the topping. There are countless other English/Balkan blends that have some similarities. What's similar to you is unlikely to be similar for other people as it is personal taste. Point is, if you love Margate, then why not simply buy all you can when it is available?
I've gotten a few pounds of Margate over the last six weeks, thanks to members here and a local B+M. And while it's my favorite at the moment, there are tons of other excellent English blends, many by American Blenders. But what is the topping? I am surprised to hear that it's topped at all.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Just tried Westminster for the first time in an Old England Haslemere. Very different from Margate, I think, but really, really nice. I'll definitely be buying a big tub of that one.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I don’t taste any topping on Margate, however there may be, I just don’t personally pick it up... It also may be the casing? Pembroke, that’s Margate topped with a Cognac but every pipe smoked knows that.
I was pleasantly surprised by Arango Balkan Supreme, it’s by far the best of its kind that I’ve tried in bulk. I’ve also been pleasantly surprised by Father Dempsey, a very nice, sweet English mixture. None of these are very similar to Margate but they make me just as happy. Actually, I used to love Margate but the latest bag that I opened just tastes flat, it doesn’t have that creamy, unique sweetness that I grew so fond of. I’m slowly smoking my way through it and it lets me down every time I smoke. I’ll stick with Skiff and the two I mentioned above for my English/Balkan needs. Well I do have a tin of Brebbia Balkan on the way so we’ll see how I like that one.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I taste a sweet note from Margate that does not seem to come from the tobacco. Casing, topping - all the same to me if it results in a flavor in the tobacco.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
It could be cognac topped. Whatever is in Margate it makes me cough terribly. And sadly I have pounds of it in mason jars. At first I liked it - so I hoarded a bunch, only to develop a nasty cough every time I smoked the ET weed. Some other blends do the same to me as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pembroke is basically Margate with a cognac topping, and I finished off my Pembroke by airing it out plenty to get rid of that scent.
I don't get a non-tobacco taste with Margate, either from its casing or topping. For me, it's smooth as a stick of butter. Gaslight, otoh, sets me down.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Pembroke is basically Margate with a cognac topping, and I finished off my Pembroke by airing it out plenty to get rid of that scent.
Why not just purchase Margate instead?
I had a guy working at a tobacco store insist that Blackpool was Stonehaven with a topping. Nice theories, unless I see that explicitly posted by the manufacturer, not buying it.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Tried a few alternatives in the last few days, incl. Westminster and Star of the East (holy Lat bomb! but in a good way). Then smoked some Margate in my Northern Briars today, and man, I just love that stuff. I haven't encountered many blends that smell & taste as good (to me) two hours later as they did when I smoked them.

Status
Not open for further replies.