Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
OK, that might be pushing it a bit, but I cracked a tin earlier and something very strange and kinda scary happened. I ordered a tin of Old Joe Krantz from smokingpipes.com some months back (smokingpipes and a couple of other retailers have tinned versions of various C&D bulks), and threw it in the cellar without paying much attention to it. Well, a craving hit for a good burley, and I saw this tin of OJK. When I pulled it out of the cellar, I noticed that the bottom was swelled significantly, and the metal pop top seal looked a little skewed. I was thinking this might have been just the aging process at work, but the tin was fairly fresh (dated November 2012). Curious as to why this was, I grabbed the tab on the can, pulled a little, and finally cracked the seal. Once the seal cracked, the lid quite literally blew off the can, resulting in a bang that sounded like a shot and sent a little bit of tobacco flying everywhere. The blast was enough that the lid flew a few feet in front of me and actually hurt my hand a little bit. The sound was enough that the fiancee came running and she yelled "What in the hell did you just do?!" She saw the tobacco can in my hand, the lid and the little bits of tobacco that had flown out on the floor, put 2 and 2 together in her hand and immediately started laughing. I didn't lose but just a few shreds of tobacco, and more importantly, the tobacco in the can was just fine, but it about scared half the piss out of me.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
The sign of a dedicated pipe-smoker: His first concern is for the amount of lost tobacco rather than the near loss of an eye... :)

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Watch the flying cans you put an eye out kid. Seriously, glad your ok though. I had a friend who had a aerosol can explode in his hand that really damaged him.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The guy at the local shop here said that he has had cans pop by themselvers from pressue building up in them, especially C&D blends. He said they have had them pop while he is there, scares him everytime.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Hope you like pressed burley because it sounds like that's what your about to smoke :p fortunately you have just the right hobby to sit and calm down with after such an ordeal.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your lost tobacco! If I ever have a swelled can, I'll try to make sure I open in a way that prevents the loss of its precious contents.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Interesting. I wonder why other tins dont do that. They seem to always have a vacuum seal.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I have two tins of Waccamaw blend from smoking pipes.com that are pretty new and swelling up... Maybe I should "pop" them while there is nobody home.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
So instead of "Broken Pipe" would you have been a case of "Exploding Tin?"
All this and not one mention of how the baccy tasted. I am sure it was even sweeter after having to go through all that to get it.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a tin of McClelland St James Woods from 1995. The pressure in this tin is crazy, it looks like it wants to pop open by it own accord. After reading this story, I will have to make sure I protect myself and the tobacco inside when I finally decide to open it.
Glad nothing serious happened.
Thanks for the story

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
Wow, glad your okay... Guess I better go check the 4 or so tins of C&D I've got in the cellar and maybe move them to jars...

Status
Not open for further replies.