PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...save our toys. :lol:
Nothing unusual about that---everyone knows about Barbies and etc.---seeing this struck home in a more personal, immediate way, though.
I scrounged and saved for several months to come up with the $10.00 this kit cost, and when finished was so proud that my mom displayed it "in public" (meaning set it on a cabinet in our living room).
car-model.png

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have like 10,000 hockey, football, baseball, and basketball cards lurking in my attic somewhere from when I was a kid. Hoping there are some gems in there, and that anyone still gives a s**t when I'm 60. I looked for about 15 minutes a few years ago and found a Mario Lemieux rookie card worth $225.
Maybe one day those boxes will allow me to retire a week early :?
Really I should just be buying artisan pipes. Wait until they all retire/croak, then jack the prices up into the stratosphere on ebay for 600% profits. Seems to be the currently applied method. Although by the time I'm 60 pipes may be illegal, and we may have to grow the tobacco on Mars, but hey, here's to hoping.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My brother and I beheaded and otherwise disfigured what would now be thousands of dollars worth of Star Wars and other action figures.
But, we'd have had to leave them in the packages and miss an important part of growing up in 70's and 80's America.
Hard to say if it was worth it or not.
AP, I have a similar sized pile of MTG cards collecting dust on a shelf. Maybe I can trade them for Depends and Efferdent some day...
jay-roger.jpg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My brother and I beheaded and otherwise disfigured what would now be thousands of dollars worth of Star Wars and other action figures.
Ditto. So many action figures (not to mention birds and squirrels) were annihilated by air rifles/lighters. Hot wheels bashed in by hammers/gravity to create "wrecks". I'd say it was definitely worth it. Those were good times.
You can't buy violent childhood memories. I probably wouldn't be the well adjusted psychopathic whackjob I am today without them.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Star Wars figures...original size GI Joes with submarine, GI Joe Headquarters, and a couple different vehicles...a ton of Micronauts...Planet of the Apes figures with the treehouse...every KISS record up to Unmasked, including solo albums, on vinyl...I don't even know what happened to all of it, except for one Eagle Eye GI Joe with Kung Fu Grip that I believe is at my mom's.
At least I still have my collection of about 1000 Marvel comics ranging from the 60s to the early 80s.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My action figures didn't survive the bottle rocket jetpacks strapped to their backs. For that matter, taping a bottle rocket to the top of a Hot Wheels car seemed like a good idea at the time.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I should have been cellaring candy cigarettes and bubble gum cigars.
Who knew?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
My action figures didn't survive the bottle rocket jetpacks strapped to their backs. For that matter, taping a bottle rocket to the top of a Hot Wheels car seemed like a good idea at the time.
My childhood buddy Richard had some small tubes permanently stuck in the ground of his back yard that allowed him to drop bottle rockets onto the back porches of hie 3 "favorite" neighbors with impressive accuracy. Ah, the good ol' days...
jay-roger.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I had to look that one up:
http://www.virtualtoychest.com/megabug/megabug.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I built a lot of plastic Monogram and other models. I was so naive, it never occurred to me to sniff the glue, though it did smell good, and it probably made me happy anyway. However, at some point, with access to my next door neighbor's dad's basement workshop, I started building airplanes and a fleet of ships out of wood. The hulls and superstructures were surplus pieces of wood, and things like window screen cut small made radar antenna, and nails made cannon and so forth. Once you find out you are your own model designer, anything goes. I don't have any idea what happened to the fleet.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Ask the folks who "invested" in beanie babies a while back how that's working out for them.
Something similar around the same time was Pound Puppies.
A friend of mine's sister single-handedly thought them up and started producing them in her house. Soon demand took off and she quit her job to make them full time. Then along came Mattel (or whichever corporate toy giant it was) and offered her a couple million bucks for everything. Concept, designs, trademarks, etc. All rights of any and every kind.
She lived large for just over a year, and within two years was back where she started at her original job. Was far deeper in debt than before, too.
My friend said afterward it isn't often you can know or see something remarkable and know without a doubt it's the most extreme thing of its type to have ever existed. The "world record" for whatever it is. Why was he sure? Because he referred to his sister as the Stupidest Human of All Time even when she was around, and she agreed with him.
EDIT: I just looked up Pound Puppies on Wiki to see if there might be more to the story after 25 years, but I remembered the wrong toy. PP's came out of Canada and it was a man who designed them. Oh well, accurate story otherwise. No idea what the dolls she made were called... I would have bet (and lost) a million dollars that I remembered it right.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My family had a garage sale when I was fairly young and sold off a bunch of Star Wars stuff for pennies on the dollar. It wasn't until a couple years after that we realized what we had done. Our trash had become another man's treasure. Good on them.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK, then...
I **wouldn't** have lost the million bucks. :D
Pound Puppies it was. But there was/is considerably more to the story.
The Canadian guy apparently arranged some sort of deceptive partnership where HE was able to claim credit for the invention, and she sued him. Big enough story at the time to make a major newspaper:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1985-12-25-8503290386-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.