PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Obama’s 2014 budget proposal on all tobacco products.
http://www.jacobgrier.com/blog/archives/5997.html

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
And the huge flashing neon sign said "Stock Up!"
I have quit trying to see reason in the ways of government.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
They don't care so long as they grab theirs and YOURS as quickly as possible. To them, later is later.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
If I was old enough and wise enough when this happened here I would of stocked up on all sorts when I had the chance so I really hope you guys do ... as an idea of where you could end up one day .... a 20pack of smokes $18 ... 50g tin pipe tobacco $90 ... a single cuban cigar $70 ... stock up before it happens and sit back and relax for years to come . On an interesting note tho blackmarket homemade smokes , tobacco related theft/crime and people growing their own tobacco have risen massively with almost no media attention but every now and then a report gets released if you go looking for it. Seems governments just downplay to a huge extent anything that might conflict with what they are trying to sell you. I am not sure how it works other places but the argument here for higher taxes is to pay for the supposed massive amounts of extra health care smokers require .... I for one do not understand with the amount of money generated from tobacco tax in this small country( getting close to a billion $) does not pay for the entire healthcare system by itself or why taxes from tobacco are used for anything else other than what they claim they need to increase the tax for . Please do stock up as best your able and enjoy the hobby for as long as u can

Dec 24, 2012
Lazybugger, many of us are doing just that. I am sitting at 220 lbs. i feel sorry for the young guys and the folks on fixed incomes, as they will be hit the hardest.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
The thing that strikes me is that the cigar lobby is already all over this and talking about how this is such a negative thing. Where is the pipe tobacco community in all this? I'm Canadian so there's not much I can do to fight US legislation, but in the largest market in the world for virtually any product where is the pipe tobacco lobby?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I now understand the ATF. There's firearms to protect our tobacco and alcohol to celebrate any victories.
It's a shame. I know the only reason they're increasing taxes across the board on tobacco is that they figure smokers of any kind are just like cigarette smokers and will pay no matter how high you tax it. I used to be highly against the cigarette industry and strongly in favor of separating us pipe smokers from it to try and lessen the burden on us by saying "Hey, we're not them.", but now it seems the only way to save pipes and cigars is to team up with the big buisness cigarette corporations. Something needs to be done to put these politicians in their place and save our tobacco. The pipe community really should create the "Tobacco Pipe Smokers Rights of America" and team up with the "Cigar Rights of America" to fight this.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Fellas, it is called "taking the handle off the pump." The feds are determined to stop all tobacco in all of its forms.
If tobacco becomes so expensive that it can't be enjoyed, except by the very ultra rich, then the handle is pretty much off the pump (an old expression from England when a doctor/scientist discovered a water-borne disease). "Take the handle off the (community) water pump," he said. That will stop the diesease. It did.
Which, if you look at this formula, it makes no sense. You kill out tobacco and you eliminate a rather large source of treasure to the feds. It would be interesting to see a verifiable true comparison of taxes produced by tobacco and the cost of health risks to tobacco users.
Regardless, I am with lordofthepiperings. Pipe smokers need to unite, create a Washington lobbying force, create some sort of political Super PAC and go after congressmen who back the Obamian programs that will eventually destroy tobacco in all of its forms in this country.
At least, that is my 2 cents. Sorry to prattle on. But, I am retired, on a fixed income, and can barely afford to purchase my beloved pipe tobacco now.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Peck, as in most things in my life it seems I'm a little late to the party. While I'm not "young" per say at close to 40, I'm new to pipe smoking and have a lot of years left to enjoy the hobby if I can afford it. The problem is I still don't know enough about my tastes to truly start cellaring for the apocalypse so it pains me everytime I see something posted like this.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good point NS, I just know I have a full tin of CBR and about 8oz of 1Q and McClelland Ave TQ that I just don't enjoy anymore and don't want to waste money on things I won't enjoy. Guess CH and Escudo will have to be loaded up on as well as a few others right now. I have about 6lbs in my "cellar" right now which will take about 3 years to smoke for me, so I'll just add a little at a time.

ravenwolfe

Lurker
Jul 12, 2012
I am still a Newbie to the pipe and I am still sorting out the favorite as well.Do any of you have suggestions for what would be in a well rounded cellar without breaking the bank.LEts get a cellar list going for Nonaros and Aros.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
ravenwolfe, everyone's tastes are so different that it would be very difficult to have a so called master list for people to shop from. Blends that I love are poison to other people and favorites of others I cannot smoke. I know it is hard for newcomers who don't know what they like yet to stock up. The only thing I can suggest is to start sampling from all the different categories as quickly as you can and then try an figure out which categories suit you best. Once you get landed on a couple of categories then you can branch out in those. For example, I only like Virginia Flakes Vabur Flakes and Vaper flakes so I stock my cellar with those. I no longer care for English blends and never really enjoyed aromatics so those are two categories I do not have to worry about.
This article is just one more reason to stock up as much as you can now before the price increases hit hard. I feel badly for anyone who starts smoking a pipe after Jan 2014 because it is going to be tough if these increases happen like everyone is predicting. It will still be cheaper than cigarettes or cigars, but not nearly as cheap at it is now.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
ravenwolfe, everyone's tastes are so different that it would be very difficult to have a so called master list for people to shop from.
+1
Like Harris says, everyone's tastes are so dramatically different, there's no way to tell you what you should buy. My own purchasing decisions are based on what members here are praising. Then I look at the reviews on tobbaccoreviews.com and read these reviews carefully to get an idea of what the tobacco might taste like. I check it's nic strength, etc.
There have been several blends that others loved that I felt only 'meh' about. So I would recommend that you start with small 1oz purchases of the main tobacco blends. Some examples are below:
English (with latakia): Dunhill's Standard Mixture, Dunhill's London Mixture, GLPease's Westminster, Esoterica's Margate
Balkan Blends: McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander, GLPease's Caravan
Oriental Blends: Presbyterian Mixture, Rattray's Red Rapparee, Robert McConnell's Oriental Mixture
Virginia Blends: Rattray's Old Gowrie, Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd, GLPease's Embarcadero
Virginia Flakes: Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, Rattray's Marlin Flake, Butera's Royal Vintage: Matured Flake
Virginia/Perique Blends: A&C Peterson's Escudo, GLPease's Haddo's Delight
Virginia/Burley Blends: Esoterica's Stonehaven, Solani's Aged Burley Flake, Gawith and Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake and Best Brown #2, Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flake
Aromatics: I like Pipeworks & Wilke blends as well as Newminster aros, but there are lots of recommendations to be found on this forum.
Choose one from each category - read reviews on tobaccoreviews.com and see what the general consensus is and various reactions to the blend. You kinda have to use your gut instinct on separating truth from fiction when reading the reviews, but they are still helpful.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Pipe smokers need to unite, create a Washington lobbying force, create some sort of political Super PAC and go after congressmen who back the Obamian programs that will eventually destroy tobacco in all of its forms in this country.
It will only be stopped by either raising such hell that they back off
Since the 1960s we have been educated on the evils of tobacco, but there's been no differentiation made between cigarette smokers (who inhale all sorts of chemicals in their sticks) and non-inhaling pipe smokers. Right now I'd guess that non-smokers vastly outnumber smokers, especially pipe smokers. This means that majority of voters see taxation as a "good" thing.
The populace has been dumbed down to the point where they practically equate tobacco with crack cocaine or meth. Even if you were able to get 100,000 thousand people to march on Washington (doubtful), it will probably garner a small article on some websites and promptly forgotten.
Sadly, I don't see this tide turning.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Good grief. I can stock up and store pipe tobacco well enough. It's my cigars that I am worried about. I have a 150 ct humidor but that can be gone through quickly enough. Plus the humidor is very finicky. Too easy to go too dry or too wet. Pipe tobacco stores more easily in my opinion for years to come. Guess I will eventually be a strict pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.