PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I mean, just because society agreed on the idea that smoking is repulsive, doesn't mean that I/we should be ostracized.
Of course we should not be ostracized, however we are. I've just read that you live in Istanbul, I visit Istanbul at least 3 times a year (we should meet sometime by the way :) ) and smokers are ostracized a lot there by cafes, restaurants, etc. just because of the laws. Even Turkish restaurants in my country are applying the same rule here even though it is not forbidden by law to smoke in a cafe, restaurant, etc. here. As Warren stated, "it is their choice and we smokers need to quit being so damned sensitive to how others see us". I don't care what they think about me, I just care not to harm them with my smoke, if they are ok with that, then I am ok, if they are not, then I am not.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have just remembered a quote from Lawless, "when the law becomes corrupt, the outlaws become heroes." You will be a hero Pappymac.

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
I would like to disagree with, well, somebody further up the thread. Government does, indeed prevent you from smoking in my State. Basically all indoor smoking is verboten!. It's for the health and safety of the workers you know. You are, however, permitted to set and blow explosives, race stock cars, kick box and be a Super Max prison guard. But you can't smoke.
Plugugly

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
Of course we should not be ostracized, however we are. I've just read that you live in Istanbul, I visit Istanbul at least 3 times a year (we should meet sometime by the way :) )
I'd really like that! Feel free to PM me when you visit&have the time.
Even Turkish restaurants in my country are applying the same rule here even though it is not forbidden by law to smoke in a cafe, restaurant, etc. here.
Hehe, I'm surprised to hear that, especially seeing the popularity of chain smoking here :lol:
What Warren said is a harsh truth, and I truly accept it. This thread was intended to complain rather than discuss how we can solve an issue.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
plug: I'm suspecting you are referring to me.
Different governments are indeed restricting smoking in certain areas. They are inhibiting smoking, not prohibiting smoking and forcing smokers to quit. Big difference. Your freedom to smoke where you wish, when you want, has been sharply curtailed so as to quiet the masses of people not wishing to be exposed to smoke and the attendant odors. You can still be a smoker, you can refer to yourself as a smoker, indeed you may wear a tee-shirt proudly proclaiming that you are a smoker. You cannot, in certain places, inflict on others the stench and residues of burning tobacco.
I suppose this forum is as good a place as any to complain about life as a smoker. I do get tired of reading about the hurt feelings and such. My position is that you made the same choice as I did, live with it. We should all "man up" accept the fate we have selected and quit complaining about it. Just enjoy your smokes where and when you are allowed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.