PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As I was awakened by the quake and the tsunami alert on the iPhone ... and a some what out of sorts pup, I posted shortly after the quake.
I'm fine. It was a long shake (20+ seconds?), which is the type that can cause damage. A few things walked off shelves, nothing broken, all good.
I appreciate the concern. Thanks!

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Warren:
Sorry I missed your post-quake post, and I'm pleased to read that you and the pup are unscathed.
One Saturday morning shortly after our wedding years ago my wife and me were at a local park with her dog. He was not normally "clingy," but he sure was a few minutes before a small tremblor shook us, him, and the bench upon which we sat (with him shivering in her arms). I don't know how, but he knew it was coming.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Warren, glad you and your pup are OK. That's a pretty good shaker.
Caltech says California is in the middle of an earthquake drought. We haven't had a decent one since the 1994 Northridge quake. It's going to be one hell of a ride when the next Big One hits.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good to hear, Warren. And yes, those of us near a major fault will one day be rockin' n rollin'. I need to check on the dam up valley from my house. Been told it's been decommissioned, but I need to see it empty....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Daily. The vast majority of them are not noticed by people, only the instruments. I'm just blowing smoke but, I'd guess we get, in my area a decent jarring every five/six weeks. Just depends on how active the plates are. It's a big state so many felt in say, Fairbanks wouldn't be felt in Juneau or Anchorage. My neighbor's husband slept through this morning's quake.
I'm on bedrock up in the mountains so a lot of temblors felt in the flat land below are not noticed. Check below to see the number since this mornings shakier. It's an eye opener.
https://earthquake.alaska.edu/earthquakes

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
It was the longest, "gentle" rolling quake I can remember (wasn't here in 64). Wasn't jolting like a couple we've had in the past few years... more like driving on an old concrete highway in an old Cadillac with worn out shocks.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
As I was awakened by the quake and the tsunami alert on the iPhone ... and a some what out of sorts pup, I posted shortly after the quake.
Yup, I saw that one. Glad you and your meerschaums are doing fine, sir.
Nice new sig photo, Warren!
Warren has always reminded me John Ruth from Hateful Eight. His new avatar proves how right I was.
C1Wd4MQUcAE27k6.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
All animals can sense a natural disaster before humans do. I've always thought it was because of their senses of smell and hearing is so much more developed than a human.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Some earthquakes have a very deep rumble which presages them. My wife noticed that I could sometimes hear them ten/fifteen seconds before they arrived. My dog/dogs have all consistently done better than that though. I guess there is a frequency I'm tuned to and if the quake rumbles there I can sometimes pick it up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Midwest (U.S.) had some huge earthquakes before it was much settled and has been completely calm (as far as I know) since. But the point is well taken that earthquakes don't just occur where we've seen them in recent history. Glad the sturdy Alaskans got through this one in fair shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.