PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Here is a new thread that doesn't break the rules. Has anyone been able to identify any of the pipes Crowley was photographed smoking? I believe the one from Hastings is a very large Dunhill but i'm not positive

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
22a07713c8d84f466427f5affd3f2dae--aleister-crowley-time-pictures.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/22/a0/77/22a07713c8d84f466427f5affd3f2dae--aleister-crowley-time-pictures.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Aleister Crawly ... that was such a messed up individual that people hardly noticed he smoked a pipe ...

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
He as we all have have complex lives and while he had some odd aspects in his history/life he was a great poet and mountaineer.

He was a master of yoga as well.

Read his biography before casting stones.

I have used his tarot cards for 30 years.

One persons odd is anothers normal.

Sometimes we are only remembered by one thing we do and the other parts are forgotten.

His chair was sold for a fortune, would love one of his pipes.

Sadly he died old and pennyless. Pipes long gone!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Personally I believe the Simon Iff stories to be swell. Certain Keys began to unlock when appliying the Holy Qabalah to them.

Reactions: Osirus

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Can someone PM me with a reason why the other thread broke the rules?
I bet if you look, you can find his pipes. He had notoriety, if not wealth all through his life. I'm sure a collector has one or two out there.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Crowley... I've seen his deck, very... interesting. He was the William S. Burroughs of the Occult. I heard he died a junkie, but I wasn't there. He fostered in an era that is still playing out, and may continue indefinitely.
Oh yeah, swell pipe he has there. :)

Jan 8, 2013
Personally I liked the heavy metal song about Crowley sung by Ozzy ..... Mr. Crowley what went on in your head? :mrgreen:
Personally, I always liked the guitar solo as played by the late great Randy Rhodes on that song :mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trxFJsjqnK4
Wish I could find a better quality video though.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
oldmansmoking I have read a few biographies of his, and watched some documentaries. The individual ... not my cup of tea, in my opinion he was a lunatic in search of attention. The older he got, the more nutty he became. He is definitely not a reference I would easily use when talking about esoteric topics, or at least not a positive one. Severe drug abuse, filled his teeth to seem like he is a vampire, orgies, blood rituals ... yeah, doesn't sound that sane to me. As far as writing goes, there are so many better occult/esoteric philosophers (neo-theosophical or not)contemporary to his time that it almost makes him look like a bad joke. Charles Leadbeater, Rene Guenon, Rudolf Steiner, are just a few names that come to mind ...
Mountaineer, yoga ... yes, sure, I don not contradict you, but that's not what he wanted to be remembered for. Please do not take this as disrespect towards your opinion, it's just my personal view on the topic ...

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
No problem we are all intitled to our own views and points on things.

I learned something new as I did not know he smoked a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.