PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
I think that he was the epitome of what I am denouncing at an individual level. A civilization is the sum of it's individuals and the fact that a lot of what he preached is put to the forefront to be practiced by the masses today, shows where this is heading.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oooooh! I love where this discussion is moving. Please pause while I slip on my hair shirt over my latex pleasure suit so that I can appreciate the full effect. Okay, so Western Civilization is committing suicide? And this is news? Do you think the other surviving species will hold a mass worldwide celebration when we become extinct?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I don't see everybody doing what Crowley did. Yea you have drugs.....but no one uses them as say how Crowley and Native Americans used them. It's all recreational 100% of the time. Crowley was against Abortion. He was a Patriot to his own country, he worked for British Secret Service. He elevated the individual above the herd. I really don't get where he is the origin of the Fall of Western Civilization. He was against Christianity for all the right reasons, he was born into a very strict fundamental Christian sect. Ill give you that, but Christianity isn't a key to Western Civilization. Natural Law is, and it comes to us from the Heremtica, Jewish Law, and Greek thought, as well as human experience.

Mar 29, 2016
You bet. While we love everybody, they hate and envy our guts, that makes them normal actually. The celebration will be short lived however as they will have to create their own "western" civilization.
On another note, I hope you have a pipe and tobacco to match that hair shirt/pleasure suit combo.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
On another note, I hope you have a pipe and tobacco to match that hair shirt/pleasure suit combo.
Latex doesn't taste good when it's burning, and people objected to the smell. The hairy pipe was quite a sensation so I've convinced Peterson to come out with a "hair shirt" series early next year.

Mar 29, 2016
You have more drugs for more people and that has consequences, docility and relativization of thought comes to mind. By the time he was against Christianity, it was already going down and I would say for the wrong reasons at that point.
Being against Christianity, especially in Western Europe, Canada, has become the sine qua non condition for being, what the power that be decided, enlightened. I would never trust anyone who works for any secret service, they are a special kind of breed.
As for Natural Law, I would stop at Ancient Greek thought that was somehow taken over by the Roman empire and then transcended willingly or not into Christianity, itself a bastard monotheistic religion. This process took centuries and religious wars. Also, for better or worse we owe a lot to 19th century philosophers that in my view made a Faustian pact with the unknown. God isn't that easily replaceable in the context of civilization. The alternative has been less than perfect as it requires an all out education of the individual by himself and for himself.

Mar 29, 2016
Latex doesn't taste good when it's burning, and people objected to the smell. The hairy pipe was quite a sensation so I've convinced Peterson to come out with a "hair shirt" series early next year.
Peterson...oh well, I hope you have a solid bank account. Their so called top of the line could bankrupt emerging countries without breaking a sweat. As for pipe series, you sir are a real capitalist! It could even save Peterson from financial hardships in the future.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
We owe a lot to The Enlightenment. Our Country took the path of Locke and Montesquieu (Hermetic Philosophers) where Europe followed Rousseau and his ilk (Progressivist). Sorry, Crowley was part of the Enlightment camp. Go find another scapegoat. Sounds like a lot of circles.
As far as Crowley's pipes, I'd start with Jimmy Page. He probably has a few. No need to close a thread over rants.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just to help me follow the conversation, what are we using as the high water mark of western civilization?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
i don't think Iwas following it to closely, I just didn't understand the Crowley/down fall of Western Society rant.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just to help me follow the conversation, what are we using as the high water mark of western civilization?
I would recommend the Freddy The Detective series by Walter R Brooks, IIRC. I had been translating Plato's The Republic from the archaic Greek into English and was finding it a tedious process, which shouldn't be a big surprise, as I was 8 at the time. Then, on a visit to the local library with my mother, I found the Freddy books, and all became right with the world. So the high water mark is definitely the Freddy The Detective series. The ceiling of the Sistine isn't bad either.

Mar 29, 2016
Not a scapegoat but a product of his century and a failure at that, a drug addict and sexually obsessed narcissist that died destitute. As for him smoking a pipe, I think it was the least of his worries. But I agree that anybody who sees him as a mentor, example or appreciates his character would be thrilled to be in the possession of one or more of his pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.