PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I bought my first pipe from Burlington on Whyte about 2 years ago, was very happy with the service.
I have to say, I am a huge fan of Epicure in Calgary on Stephen Ave. That is my favorite tobacconist that I have visited in my short time as a pipe smoker. Very knowledgable staff, and a tremendous selection. If only I could afford their smoking room / club :)

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I went to Burlington on Whyte 2 weeks ago and was not impressed. I asked if he had Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake. The older gentleman behind the counter stared at me like I was from a different planet. After explaining what it looked like and what it was. He said he had never heard of it, so it must not exist.
The other 2 younger gentlemen were of great help one helping me with some rubber mouth pieces a reamer and some locally blended tobacco as well as a new corn cob pipe, While the other younger chap helped my friend with a great selection of cigars between the two of us we spent over 300$.
Upon leaving my friend and I both discussed how rude the older man was, and that we were both quite upset with how we were treated. Upon going to work the next day and speaking with another pipe smoker we found out that, that older gentleman was the owner operator. All three of us discussed how he seemed not interested in our business and because the 3 of us look under 30 he assumed we were not going to come back and were not worth his time.

The 3 of us will not be going back, the store is in a horrible location and it takes me 1.5 hours to drive there. The tobacco selection was okay nothing special. And after being talked to like a child the 3 of us will be looking for other stores to buy our pipes and tobacco from.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Apparently there is animosity between the guys that work there.
That being said, I enjoyed the tobacco I got there, and I did get proper help picking out some cigars.

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I had a good visit at Burlington on Whyte. Staff were friendly and offered lots of help. Thoroughly enjoyed being able to touch all of the pipes without having someone hover over my shoulder.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
To answer the question abouy burlington's. It's $1.25 a bowl, as much as you can get in your pipe. Dur to government regulations, you cannot smoke in the shop.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I'll be checking out this shop this evening, I'm running very low on tobacco and a long ways from home.I don't know tobacco prices here in Alberta but I'm going to have to bite the bullet. Looking forward to be able to visit an actual shop as there are none in my hometown, Fredericton.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
$45-55 is what you should expect to pay for a tin. Bulk at epicure in Calgary is $1/gram so I'd expect something similar there.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I believe Alberta has some of the highest provincial tobacco taxes in Canada

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
He said he had never heard of it, so it must not exist.
Sounds like a humble individual also. Canadianbiggam, since your comment on the thread is a year old , I am assuming you have since
found a source for Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Bullseye Flake?

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Well I finally made it in to Burlington On Whyte in Edmonton. What a nice little shop, I would loved to have had an hour to spend in there. Very helpful young man waited on me, friendly and courteous. The " grumpy old guy " that I read about in reviews was there and seemed quite amicable to me. I came away with an ounce of a bulk Aro along the lines of 1Q and a mild English blend. I couldn't leave without a pipe and picked up this little Lorenzetti, I'm guessing Bent Bulldog ?
lorenzetti-avitus-95-600x337.jpg

A lovely little shop, I hope to make it in again, but not for tobacco, $23.95/oz.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hi there,

+1 on Burlington on Whyte. I've purchased 3 pipes from them even though I live in Red Deer. Great customer service.

I have purchased from Gord's and love their Red Deer Mist and Captain's Choice blends. They are my go to blends but like all tobacco in Canada it's pricey.

I would rate their customer service average.

Kinda nice to know I'm not the only pipe smoker in Central Alberta.

Status
Not open for further replies.