PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Codger blends. Everybody has their allegiance. Some Carter Hall. Some Granger. Some Sir Walter Raleigh. Whichever one is “yours” there is no escaping them in discussions on this forum and I have seen as many arguments about the likes of Carter Hall as I have about Penzance.

Regardless, there is something to be said for that lovely price tag and with all the reputable palates on these sordid internet tubes swearing by their particular preference it was time to start testing them out.

It has been a heavier than usual smoking weekend for me. I don’t know why, but the pipe has just called to me this week and with temps finally dropping below zero, the wood stove going, and last winter’s herculean cutting and splitting efforts finally paying off, I smoked 4 bowls this weekend. After some Stonehaven and Sutliff goo yesterday, and some GLP Union Square this morning (A wonderful VA) I decided a mildly fatigued, but still mildly competent palate was a good opportunity to get started on the OTC/Codger test flights.

I still had my Genod poker (a very underdiscussed/underrated maker, IMO) in my lunting pouch so I just loaded it up with the somewhat dry, but not too dry by any means, short chopped ribbons of brownish earth toned tobacco. The bag note was interesting, somewhat toasty, a faint hint of chocolate, and what smelled to be like a light topping of something liquory.

Upon lighting, this puppy took off like a rocket. One charring light was plenty and I had to take care to slow her down immediately as a large ember was already glowing out of the thick walled natural stained poker. At first, after letting it cool a bit, the light topping type of aroma I smelled is evident in the flavor, like a very light hint of chocolate liquer of some kind. As the bowl gets back down to an appropriate burn rate, the toasty, bready flavors of the burley came out from underneath and became the driving force, especially on the retrohale.

Once I had her slowed down this is actually a pretty nice tobacco. It certainly doesn’t have quite the richness of a lot of higher end blends, nor the layered complexity, but sometimes there is beauty in simplicity. The flavors are prominent enough, but the texture remains quite mild. I push it a little bit again to see where it goes. I can see how many people first starting out could get turned off of OTC blends quite quickly, because at the first hint of a quick cadence this tobacco begins to bite, and the ember becomes a sizzling hot ball of fire. However, with an appropriate cadence it remains quite smooth and has a wonderfully nutty, toasty, earthy taste and won't bite. No relights necessary. A slight hint of dry chocolate like flavor as well. The label doesn’t say anything about a topping on this blend, but I swear I am tasting a little liquor of some kind, although it is quite light, certainly not what I would consider anything near “aromatic.”

I waft the bowl emissions into my face to try and gauge a room note, with little success in a light breeze, but it doesn’t smell offensive, nor does it smell like a yankee candle. Fine with me.

Walking along I enjoy the rest of the bowl as the sun goes down and the temperature begins to plummet into the 20s. I break out my trapper hat (the cheap one, not my beaver). As I get close to the end of the bowl, I thought I would have some trouble avoiding bite, but it doesn’t happen, it smokes quite well to the end, in fact, during the second half of the bowl it was much more tolerant, bite-wise and any hint of topping fades. The sun is setting fast, and the deep red alpine foliage on the mountains lights up with pink and purple, shining off the fresh snow up higher. Every once in a while the sound of one of the last few leaves falling. Poor little guys held out longer than most, but alas, in futility. Contentedness achieved.

This blend is certainly not loaded with nicotine. I get a little nicotine buzz, but certainly not anything too heavy. Honestly, this blend reminds me of a lighter version of some of the Gawith ropes, like a rum twist, but much lighter, much simpler, and a much much dryer, cleaner smoke with a different topping hint. But like them it is simple, straightforward, and satisfying without too much to think about. The verdict? I could see how a man could subsist on this. I can also see how a man on a budget could be happy smoking this much of the time. If I were in the middle of nowhere and a tub of this was all some ramshackle trading post had, I would not be disappointed. In fact, I’d be happy to see it again. It is a nice, simple, palate cleanser of a tobacco. A great reset button, and an enjoyable smoke. No fuss, No BS, Easy and Fun. I give it 37.5 out of 46 stars

Now back into the wood stove, a hearty dinner, and some thick stout with a side of bourbon by the woodstove to warm the bones back up. Then I will plop my little 5 month old daughter, the little ball of heat, into my armpit in the recliner and let her drift off to sleep in my arms. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.