PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmadothman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
This blend caught my interest purely by name, as it is named after the city I live in and G.L. said he was inspired by the city when creating this blend. So, I tried it and I think that Pease created a masterpiece here. On opening the tin, you are welcome by a grassy, spicy aroma like an old spice market. It is yellow in colour like a bright sun and really fine cut to almost a shag. It packs stupendously easy and lights easier. It stays lit and burns cool though a little fast for my taste. The first puff is grassy, citrusy and spicy. Which was super annoying for me, as I prefer dark virginia with bread and yeast and I like more subtle perique that again is not available here. But the more I got into the bowl, the more I enjoyed it and the more it grew on me which put a smile on my face as this is basically my same opinion of Cairo, the city. It soon became a go-to blend for me, especially with morning coffee as it pairs well with it. It has a lovely, light room note and is perfectly fine to have all day long. And indeed it is such a spiritual inspiration of Cairo

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pease said, "Cairo is one of my favorite cities in the near-East, perhaps even the world. When I was there, the energy of the place inspired me in ways I'd never imagined. This tobacco has a distinctly oriental character, reminiscent of the spice markets in the bazaar. What else could I call it?"

7680ef380724ef37249cd7c5def20272.jpg

wallace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2012
That is an amazing picture! I can't help but wonder what year those stones were laid and how many feet have helped to polish their face.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Hands down my favorite from G. L. Pease and pretty much my go to virginia/oriental blend.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I smoked a tin around 2003 and really liked it, usually keeping some on hand. But then I forgot about, found it, and forgot about it again. Reminded about it here, I'm going to buy some, that is unless I forget about it again.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've got a tin or two squirreled away somewhere. I'll crack one open as soon as I put a dent in the 20 or so other blends in my active rotation. :oops:

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
That is an amazing picture! I can't help but wonder what year those stones were laid and how many feet have helped to polish their face.
Those were laid around 970 CE, so probably millions of feet :)
Hands down my favorite from G. L. Pease and pretty much my go to virginia/oriental blend.

great one indeed
I smoked a tin around 2003 and really liked it, usually keeping some on hand. But then I forgot about, found it, and forgot about it again. Reminded about it here, I'm going to buy some, that is unless I forget about it again.
order some.. order some
I've got a tin or two squirreled away somewhere. I'll crack one open as soon as I put a dent in the 20 or so other blends in my active rotation. :oops:
I feel the struggle.. now I confine myself to 2-3 blends max

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
Well, I haven't dealt with them in a while. I always use smokingpipes now. I ship US side and wait for friends to come over

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Those were laid around 970 CE, so probably millions of feet [:)]
And are possibly older, if reused from Pharanoic sites which was quite common (hence the state of the facing of the pyramids).

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I had literally one day in Cairo! I was staying in Luxor with my son and decided on impulse to head north. We booked an overnight train which we slept in, arriving in Cairo pretty early in the morning. We had a whole day which was enough to go to Giza (penetrating the second pyramid to the burial chamber), the Museum to see Tutankhamun and the Hall of the Kings, and some time in the Grand Bazaar. Then back on an overnight train to Luxor! One day perhaps I will stay long enough to do it justice.
A pic of me in the Valley of the Kings:
jw1uCvt.jpg

Mike

ahmadothman

Apr 26, 2016
Egypt
@thesillyoldbear Thanks :)
@lazar.. Yeah, it may be the case, though not enough proof on that exact location
@didache glad you enjoyed your trip :)

Status
Not open for further replies.