PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I keep reading that aro tobaccos don't age well. I smoke mainly an aro and need to stock up before the prices go through the roof. What can I expect when I open a jar that's a few years old? Will it be worth the savings? I know it's not old but, I have a jar about a year old and it's not bad. What do you guys think?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
It's not that aromatics will go bad after time; they won't. But it's Virginias and Virginia-based blends that benefit the most from aging, actually getting better with time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had several aromatics that I have enjoyed "new," but that I found much more to my taste aged as

much as three years, and sometimes not under optimal conditions. This was not a plan, and I wouldn't

do this expecting good results. But I found them more mellow, with the dressing more integrated with

the tobacco flavor. In fact, it was this kind of inadvertent delay that made me want to smoke a pipe

again.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
A link to what G L Pease has to say about aging aromatics:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080121054621/http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/aging.php#q3

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
Aros do just fine. I have many different ones over ten years,and they smoke great. The big confusion is that they don't age the same as Va,s. Unless, of course they have Va. in them. Aro's get a little more mellow,but still give a wonderful smoke. So stock up, for many reasons. Stock Va Lat and burley too.Your taste may change or you can sell them,mix them etc. Hope this helps.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Thanks friends. That clears it up. There's a difference between aging and storing. Virginia's age with time while aro' can be stored but don't age well. Thanks for the understandstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.