Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Three weeks ago a good friend gave me an 11 year old tin of Rattray's Accountats' Mixture.
I didn't like the name, the tin design or the imagery it conjured, plus, when I got home, I found the tin seal was broken, the tobacco was very dry and smelled awful.
I put the tin contents in a tobacco jar, revived it with sprayed distilled water, and allowed to sit for three weeks.
I just finished half a bowl in my Country Gentleman MM cob.
It is a blend comprised of Virginias, Black Cavendish and Latakia.
One word: amazing!!!
I wish I had a lot more. I think it could be the perfect all day smoke.
The Viginias are piquant yet sweet, with the added subtle sweetness of the Black Cavendish and a kind of fruity, plumish, leatherish Latakia taste as background support. Believe it is Syrian Latakia.
Nic hit is medium to strong.
No tongue bite whatsoever.
Burns relatively cool, lighted at once and required no re-lights during the half a bowl I just had.
Roomnote: not a crowd pleaser, but a lot less overwhelming than other Latakia blends I have tried. i.e.; Squadron Leader, Red Rapparee, Commonwealth Mixture.
Maybe it was the aging or maybe it is just a great blend. Will try to find a new tin to compare.
All in all a great smoke.
A must try if you enjoy medium strength, full, Latakia blends.
Cheers,
J

Reactions: sthaddix

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Try it fresh then, if the seal is broken and the tobacco is dried out it's not really aged, it's more like most of the flavor is gone. I'm sure you'll find the freshly sealed stuff to have much more flavor.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Where do they come up with these names? I'm still waiting for Bicycle Repair-Man mixture.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Andy, I don't know when the seal was broken, but the tobacco is surely aged because of its sweetness. The tobacco could have aged for many years before the seal broke.
Cheers,
J

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Where do they come up with these names? I'm still waiting for Bicycle Repair-Man mixture
Relax, I am releasing "bicycle repair man" and "He that fixes toilets" in the spring

Status
Not open for further replies.