PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I recently cracked a tin of Old Joe from 2001.
I can't put it down. Its pungent. Sour. Up the nose perique with a burley backbone and some Virginia's to save you with a little light leaf.
It burns great. Mouthfeel is wonderful. Nic hit is medium, perfect for those early morning smokes. Ill probably be buying a few pounds to put away. I havemt had it fresh, but Ill buy a small tin to try.
Figured I would let you guys known if you havent already.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
*hack* *Cough* *wheeze* Who said that!?
Mouldy? No, that is just some plume developing as I age!
Hey! Someone open a window over there! *cough* *cough*

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This month, March 2017, you can buy OJK in bulk at 15% off at smokingpipes.com, and age it in jars, if you choose.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Yes. If you enjoy it fresh, it is marvelous aged. I have smoked a couple bowls everyday

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
Hmm, I'm down to 19 ounces of OJK.

I may need to stock up.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
I can only say it again, this is absolutely fantastic with age.
If you have it, buy more. If you don't, get some.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Yes - aged OJK is superlative (one of my 2 or 3 favorites, in fact). But it's even better pressed and then aged. Back when C&D still dealt directly with customers, you could order your own blends or have them alter an established blend to fit your personal taste. I got a one pound tin of OJK pressed into a cake form back in 2007 and managed to not open it until this year. It's everything I hoped it would be -- a very dark, sweet, almost fruity version of a burley blend. Its as though the pressing and aging really accentuated the Va and perique, but it somehow manages to not forget that it's a burley-centric blend. Even if you can't get it from the factory like that anymore, I'd still recommend home-pressing some and then aging it.

Reactions: 3rdguy

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Back when C&D still dealt directly with customers, you could order your own blends or have them alter an established blend to fit your personal taste. I got a one pound tin of OJK pressed into a cake form back in 2007 and managed to not open it until this year.
Well that explains it. You mentioned a krumble kake version in another thread and I was wondering if you had done it at home or what. I wonder if it would be possible to get the Burley Flake series uncut (i.e. as a plug) -- heck, they could just start selling it that way, given the popularity of plugs.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds delicious. The new OJK-derived blends do not interest me that much, but the original is a favorite. Pretty much the ideal all-day smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No discipline. If I have OJK on hand, it gradually disappears. Maybe the cats are smoking it.

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Been enjoying some more OJK lately.
Doctor- I'd love tonhave that option from CD now. Pressed OJK sounds delicious.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Doctor- I'd love tonhave that option from CD now. Pressed OJK sounds delicious.
I've been smoking some of that 2007 caked OJK (Thanks Doc!). This stuff is pretty darned good!
Tim

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Glad you're enjoying it! I'm having to sell more of it than I'd hoped, but I'm gonna hold onto these last two or three jars until the undead pull it from my hands during the pending zombie apocalypse.

Status
Not open for further replies.