PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I seem to remember reading on PM that burley does not change much with age. If this is true (and I'm not trying to spread misinformation, maybe it does age?) what's the deal with Solani Aged Burley Flake 656? I really enjoy burley and just got a tin of MacBaren BLB and currently have some Symphony open that I'm working through. This Solani blend has me intrigued so, I'm wondering from those of you that have experience with it and other "aged" burleys, does it, in fact, change with age? Thanks!
P.S. This may be a question for Ask GL Pease I suppose...

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Sry cant really comment on aging but I have tried the solani and damn was it good ... really enjoyed it ... would love to hear your thoughts on it

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
I'll be picking some up sometime. I have depleted tobacco funds for now though, darnit!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Burley does change over time, although there has been some confusion and misinformation spread about this fact for a few years now.

It does NOT age as dramatically as virginias or some orientals, which can seem like entirely tobaccos after enough time has passed. Burley may lose some of its roughness and the flavor may deepen a little -- enough to be noticeable, but nothing dramatic. The good news is that burley also doesn't really go bad over time, so you can seal up a jar of Solani ABF and leave it for 50 years with little fear of it going over the hill (provided the seal isn't compromised). Of course, there are very few straight burley blends on the market. Most of them have at least some VAs added to them, which in turn will age as normal.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
Burley doesn't age, just gradually loses flavor if not stored properly, OTC uses chemical toppings for shelf life and last 100 years. Only VA leaf ages, but again only if stored properly.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
So just the responses in this thread have given different answers as to whether or not, burley will change with age. I gather from Roth that it is the toasting process that changes the ABF. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to buy two tins of a burley and store the other and decide for myself. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the responses everyone. I think I'll still send this one over to Greg.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It's not that it doesn't change, as I understand it; it's just that it doesn't change dramatically, like a Virginia will, as a couple of the guys mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.