PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
My father gave me my first cigar when I turned 16. Father-son bonding never involved playing catch or sports. While that cigar knocked me on my ass, I started pipes and cigars in earnest in college.

roryrumfelt

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2014
I took up the pipe when I was about 16, I saw my dad throwing out some old corncobs trying to quit, and what can they say, like father like son!
years later and he pulled out some of his old brairs and gave em too me!
My only suggestion Is do a lot of studying, on the forum in catalogs, books, youtube...

But DONT force yourself to like anything you dont like, and dont be afraid to like things that you do!
There are blends that I started with that I wont even touch now, and blends that I wouldent touch then, that I have 8oz in jars now!
Welcome to a wonderful world my friend!

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Snuck a couple leaves out of the stripping barn and tried chewing them around age 10.
Stole my first cigarette from my dad around age 12.
Became a daily cigarette smoker at 16.
2 packs of cigs a day by age 20.
Bought my first pipe at age 23 but after a week of tongue bite it got stuck away on a shelf and only smoked maybe 3-4 times a year.
Kicked cigarettes 3 months ago and became a daily pipe smoker. Much happier with my tobacco consumption habits now :)

Aug 14, 2012
I was secretly a cigar smoker from age 12, started with a pipe at 14. At 15 I came out of the closet and dared anyone in the family to try and stop me. Tips? Get at least one really good briar, break it in carefully, and pick a good non aromatic tobacco. I went from whatever garbage my father had stashed, to Edgeworth, to Amphora, to Balkan Sobranie. I was lucky to discover the best tobacco on the 4th try.

royodhner

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
I was 16, and I had just picked up a paperback copy of LOR. (I know, cliché). Most of the men I knew smoked pipes, so it wasn't such a far leap for me. First pipe was a rusticated DR Grabow, and the first tobacco was Borkum Riff Whiskey. Scorched the crap out of my tongue. Next attempt was Captain Black Gold - again with the scorching. Finally followed my late uncle Danny's lead and picked up a pouch of Granger - third time was a charm. That was in 1979.

Status
Not open for further replies.