Advice Please (W.Germany Poker Pipe Project)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Friends,

Picked up this "Rocky - W. Germany" on Ebeast (photo below). Has an "H" (think it's an H.. ) imprinted on the stem. Can't find anything about this pipe on the web.

REPAIR issue... Check out the chip on the top edge of the bowl. Not sure what thing was coated with that would chip, but I'm intrigued with the thought of restoring it. Ideas? Advice? Wisdom?

Thanks so much,
Steve

Last edited:

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I'm sure a little dab of mineral oil would make that chip blend in a little better. How severe would you say it is?

Looks like a nice little project though for sure!

Hey Mike,

More of a chip than a major ding, but being on the ridge of the bowl makes it look relatively more obvious. The bare wood exposed is more flat in comparison to whatever coating was used. Does not appear to be varnish (thank God), but what it is... not sure. Department store pipe, so nothing fancy. I'm looking forward to trying it out nonetheless. Maybe enough carnauba after some very fine sanding will do the trick.

Best,
Steve

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I think I'll clean it, try it out. If I like it at all, I may use acetone and attempt to strip it down to bare wood and start from scratch. I've got the tools, supplies, and energy. Bad idea?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think I'll clean it, try it out. If I like it at all, I may use acetone and attempt to strip it down to bare wood and start from scratch. I've got the tools, supplies, and energy. Bad idea?

nope, it is your pipe so do with it as you wish. I'm a big fan of mineral oil and have seen it do wonders on several pipes. If you decide to strip it all down and sand, I guess the chip wouldn't matter so much.

My sense is from looking at it, if you were to remove that dark stain, it would look a little like a poker cob, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tastes.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
nope, it is your pipe so do with it as you wish. I'm a big fan of mineral oil and have seen it do wonders on several pipes. If you decide to strip it all down and sand, I guess the chip wouldn't matter so much.

My sense is from looking at it, if you were to remove that dark stain, it would look a little like a poker cob, which may or may not be a good thing depending on your tastes.

Couldn't hurt to try the mineral oil idea first. I'll do that and see what happens. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Friends gave me a Thompson Cigar house pipe also stamped West Germany. I'm not sure if it relates to any current German pipe brands or not. It is a freestyle and had Vulcanite P-Lip stem that oxidized to grit with nearly every smoke despite determined polishing. So i had a new acrylic tortoise shell stem made and mounted, and I am entirely satisfied with it, with it's good big quality briar bowl.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Friends gave me a Thompson Cigar house pipe also stamped West Germany. I'm not sure if it relates to any current German pipe brands or not. It is a freestyle and had Vulcanite P-Lip stem that oxidized to grit with nearly every smoke despite determined polishing. So i had a new acrylic tortoise shell stem made and mounted, and I am entirely satisfied with it, with it's good big quality briar bowl.

mso, where do you get your stems made?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Looks good to me! Smoke that sucker...pufpuf

Exactly, weezell! Just did with some Cavendish. Honestly, it was a very solid smoke. I'm keeping this one. And, I can now say I have a pipe in my line up from West Germany (or at least the bowl?). It had this kind of museum or old library smell to it if that makes sense? I think it was stored in a very old cedar storage locker of some sort for many years.

Last edited:

Burley Guy

Lurker
Oct 18, 2019
Colorado
Friends,

Picked up this "Rocky - W. Germany" on Ebeast (photo below). Has an "H" (think it's an H.. ) imprinted on the stem. Can't find anything about this pipe on the web.

REPAIR issue... Check out the chip on the top edge of the bowl. Not sure what thing was coated with that would chip, but I'm intrigued with the thought of restoring it. Ideas? Advice? Wisdom?

Thanks so much,
Steve

View attachment 3046
A dab of ultra violet liquid, like Loons, and expose it to sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.