New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been stated many times on here as well as in "The Books of Pipes and Tobacco" by Carl Ehwa.

Then it should be no problem finding some evidence of this claim. An, excerpt from a book or even an old ad. Because I have NEVER heard someone say this on here. Yes, plain tobacco can be aromatic and is often stated to be aromatic in quality, but the term "aromatics" in relation to the genre is older than us.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Then it should be no problem finding some evidence of this claim. An, excerpt from a book or even an old ad. Because I have NEVER heard someone say this on here. Yes, plain tobacco can be aromatic and is often stated to be aromatic in quality, but the term "aromatics" in relation to the genre is older than us.
I actually heard it called fragrant before aromatic. I hadn't heard the term aromatic used for flavored tobaccos until I started ordering online around 2009.

Very good... see, that wasn't so hard... but, I remember the term "aromatics" used to mean tobacco with added scents, going back to the 80's and the old mall Tinderboxes with jars full of apricot, apple, cherry, etc...

In all of our discussions where you state that you can "taste" aromatics, and folks (including myself) have claimed that it is meant to be smelled... you have never mentioned this.

You, however are unique... in that out of my pipe club of 30+, talking to guys at pipe shows, and setting around in the Briary all day... I have never met anyone who has made the claim that they can taste aromatics, as in what we all know the genre to be. It is smelled, which smell is 90% of the food experience, so it is harder to differentiate for some. If I smoke an aromatic with a clothes pin on my nose, I get nothing but hot air. And, yes, most of the flavor of a non-aro is also sensed through the nose, but I can at least perceive sweetness or nuttiness without smelling when smoking a non-aro.

But, my hat's off to you...

BTW, this morning I was smoking Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red Cherry aromatic this morning as I drove my wife to her friends. I had just popped the tin and was my first smoke of this, I was wondering if it even had any cherry in it, but my wife started telling me how it had a very candy smell, which I couldn't sense at all.
So, I get out of the truck, walk her up to the door, return to the truck... and that is when I smelled cherry for the first time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No... I still don't believe that the term "aromatics" were meant to be the moniker for the genre of Orientals. I grew up with the term meaning scented tobaccos.

But, at least we know that you just didn't make it up, ha ha. puffy
My faith is very unforgiving about deceit.

Ok... Captain... I never claimed that you were lying. I was claiming that you were incorrect, or misinformed. But, I never said liar. You said that, Captain.
I still think that you are misinformed, if you are claiming that the term "aromatic" was not meant to be what we call tobacco with crap added to it, and that we are all stupid for not using it to refer to Orientals.

If you wish to refer to Orientals as "Aromatics" go ahead. But, no one will know what the hell your talking about.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Never understood people like this. There is already plenty in life to give a shit about. Why add to that list when you can just relax and let people do their own thing?
it's the same reason some people choose an arbitrary moral stance surprisingly the one that's easy for them to follow. The only difference is what they're trying to show off. With taste it's a sign of a boring person whose only interesting trait is drinking or smoking, with morality it's a person who needs help pretending to be good (example that fat ugly guy who never cheats on his wife but only because no one would want to help him with that sin). Or at least that's my opinion and I am sticking with it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Who can't taste aromatics? Sure you might need to smell them too but that's how taste works in general. I mean you of course know about that clothes pin on the nose demonstration where you eat onions and apples and it's like really hard to tell which is which without smell.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
I find that good scotch and good bourbon are fairly close in price. Blanton's, Four Roses Single Barrel, maybe a bit cheaper than good basic single malts like 10-12 year Macallan, Glenfiditch, Laphroaig, etc. You can get good single malts for less and good single barrel bourbons for less as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.