PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Nat Sherman #536 is labeled as a mild English blend, that description is entirely accurate. Being English there is clearly Latakia even if it is on the mild side, both in flavor and percentage of mixture. Nat Sherman sells a cigarette named hint of mint, the 536# blend could follow that theme and be called Hint of Latakia. So if you like latakia but sometimes wish it wasn't as potent and pungent then this is a big check in the pro column. What else is this blend made of? Well it's got a bit of virginias more on the bready side of the stalk then the bright and citrussy side and there is also a decent amount of burly. The addition of burly to my tastes is one of the things that elevates this blend to being something special. The burly is unusually mild and smooth and I am not sure if that is because of the strain used or how it has been processed. Honestly I suspect it is lightly cased with honey and chocolate as I can taste very subtle hints of both. And when I say hints I don't mean it in the tasting notes sense, as in there are aspects that remind me of those things, but in the I distinctly taste chocolate and honey but very faintly. The over all effect is easily described as classy, it is not hard to close your eyes and imagine sitting in ones limo smoking your pipe in joyful solitude. There is a noticeable lack of any harsh edges, if smoke could be polished it would taste like this. There is a flavor I have only experienced in their cigarettes and in this particular blend. I can't quite describe it as anything otherwise then that Sherman taste. This blend could easily pass for an occasional treat or an all day blend. It invites dissection and rumination yet does not demand either. It does not break too far from tradition but stands out for the care put into it's crafting. Quality control seems very stringent. So in short I think it is a really good blend and if my description sounds appealing then it is very likely one you should try. I could see others not being as impressed with this as I am, yet I find it hard to believe one would not find a more then average pleasure in this one either.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've been mentioning Nat Sherman 536 for years on Forums, to no particular response, so I'm glad to see it appreciated in this way. I don't think it is flavored, though this issue is often discussed with many blends. I think it is billed as an English blend non-aromatic. In a word, I think of it as refined. It is mild to medium but with a fully developed taste.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve got a 5 year old tin lurking in the cellar. Sounds like I need to dig it out now that the weather is finally starting to cool.

• Love

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
536 is often listed as non-aromatic, but you may be picking up on something. When I bought it in bulk at the Nat Sherman store, I asked for non-aromatic too. There's a sorcerer aspect to blending. You're not really supposed to know exactly what you're smoking or you'd blend it yourself.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
I tried this blend a few years ago. The first few bowls were good enough, but by the time I finished the tin I didn't like it anymore. Never bought another one. I burn out on latakia rather quickly.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
mso489 from what I've heard aromatic means the added flavors are the top note and over power the tobacco flavor, non-aromatic means the added flavors enhance the natural tobacco. Kind of like the difference between a rum and coke and a Martini.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Nutty, earthy and cocoa tones are often associated with the influence of burley. You could be detecting a casing but it could also be the burley influence, especially paired with some latakia and cavendish.

Status
Not open for further replies.