PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Last week, I mentioned my wife getting me an old Savinelli 9004 as an early Father's Day gift. Original Thread When it arrived, the stem was heavily oxidized, and more oxidation than I had previously dealt with. To avoid much material loss, I opted to restore the stem without using sandpaper or micromesh, and only used Magic Erasers, Beekeeper's Friend, toothpaste, and a lot of thumb buffing.
The before pics are the original eBay images, so sorry about the quality, but as you can see, lots of oxidation to begin with, and a mirror black surface after.
20180612_171928.jpg

20180612_172425.jpg

20180612_172935.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
That’s an excellent job for sure. One question...wouldn’t the amount or depth of the oxidation be the same, regardless of what you used to remove it? Or is that the point of your post, to say that by using the things you did, you were able to fine-tune and pinpoint the exact amount of material to remove, and avoid any unnecessary removal?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Or is that the point of your post, to say that by using the things you did, you were able to fine-tune and pinpoint the exact amount of material to remove, and avoid any unnecessary removal?
Exactly. Sandpaper and micromesh are good for fine oxidation when you can see black beneath it, and kinda know where you are going when you start. I wasn't sure how much stem was left under all of that oxidation.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I see my auto correct decided to be clever in the original post. It should read "Barkeeper's Friend", not "Beekeeper's". :oops:
Never heard of the toothpaste trick before.
I use it for finer polishing after the Barkeeper's Friend. I will also often use toothpaste on a vulcanite stem after smoking just for a mild cleaning before applying Obsidian Oil.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I see my auto correct decided to be clever in the original post. It should read "Barkeeper's Friend", not "Beekeeper's".
Arrgh... An' I was lookin' forward to some honey on the hard tack....
Nice job there, Cap'n!
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for the kind words everyone! With as many 904/9004 restorations as I have under my belt, I can probably do them in my sleep. This was an entirely different animal without sandpaper and micromesh. It was actually surprising how well it turned out, and instead of a single sitting for a stem restoration, this one took multiple sittings over the course of several days. Slowly etching away the oxidation to get to the stem beneath. The end result was actually a bit more satisfying.
Arrgh... An' I was lookin' forward to some honey on the hard tack....
I actually have been considering getting into beekeeping.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I have a Chacom estate with some oxidation that I'd like to tidy up.
Since it will be my first de-oxidation attempt, I've been reading up on everyone's technique.
If you'd like to detail the order in which you proceeded with yours, I'd be grateful.
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Okay, if you want to go my usual route, start with wet 1000 grit paper or pads and check your work as you go under a bright light until you see no more oxidation. Work slowly, and keep both paper and stem wet, and only use enough pressure to keep the paper on the stem. Let the paper do the work. Go from 1000-3500 grit wet sanding, then proceed through 4000-12,000 grit dry sanding. Wash the stem under water and dry it off. Then apply Obsidian Oil or your choice of protectant.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
For the 9004 listed above, I scrubbed it hard with Mr. Clean extra durable Magic Erasers, until no oxidation was visible. Eight pads and many hours later, I started shining the matte surface with several applications of Barkeeper's Friend, and did a final polish with a whitening toothpaste using my thumb to buff the surface. Obsidian Oil was applied and wiped off with a T-shirt rag.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I think I got a 4" angle grinder and some Castrol GTX out there.
I'll get right on it. Thanks, Duane! :worship:
red-green-600x597.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We swab off the deck and white wash the planks

Use Beekeeper's Friend to shine our pipe shanks

We wind up our ropes and stow all the oars

And look for more places to stow 904's... :nana:
Now summer's upon us, we're ready to sail