Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Seems our prodigal bard 'as made himself know. In rare form no less. Bravo Jay. :worship:

Jan 8, 2013
:clap: Jay, I freakin' love it when you do that! One of these days we need to get all those in one place. Every single one of them is a masterpiece. :clap:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
One question...wouldn’t the amount or depth of the oxidation be the same, regardless of what you used to remove it?
Yes
Or is that the point of your post, to say that by using the things you did, you were able to fine-tune and pinpoint the exact amount of material to remove, and avoid any unnecessary removal?
That gets complicated.
If you remove ONLY the green---which is NEVER evenly distributed---you end up with an out-of-shape, lumpy, weird-ass-looking stem.
The stem must be entirely re-cut to its original proportions. How much reduction is involved? To where there's no green left... (every case is different)
Here's a realtime, no-edits video demonstration of the most efficient method I know of:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFwwtvtKlXW8nWQ-E9oO-YwMqCWuvBHDE

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Love the yellow fingers George, mine look the same everytime. :mrgreen: The only thing different I do normally is start with a higher grit of sandpaper or micromesh. Usually around 1000 grit. I was afraid to do that with the stem from the OP because I couldn't see any black from the start.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Hey--great looking restoration, beautiful pipe! I've used the aptly named Magic Erasers on fragile stems too--my dad's old danish pipe looks new now. It's definitely a "slow and steady" wins the race affair. And for my slightly abrasive paste, I use a high-shine car buffer. Worked wonders. Love seeing these 9004s!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Hey--great looking restoration, beautiful pipe!
Thanks! Here's a better shot minus the glare.
20180613_175011.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I'm trying! The current production 904s are safe, but the discontinued 9004s and discontinued lines of 904s are always being watched for! :mrgreen:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"ust saw your signature Bill. Love it!" -- Tnx, Duane! I owe Anthony for the pic. :worship: A little resize & bada-boom, done. You know me -- a little oddball, combined with a perverse sense of the absurd for humor, topped with a little semi-false humility due to being the FNG on the ship, & the frigate's resident jester is born. [appropriately subservient bow]

Status
Not open for further replies.