PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Greetings fellow pipe smokers!
I've been reading these forums for about half a year now. Finally decided it was time to register and start connecting with the community.
I wish all of you a good and fine day. And if any of you ever happen to drop by Malaysia, you can have a bowl of tobacco on me. Just my way of of giving you a warm welcome.
Looking forward to the new life here...
Be well,

jamban

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jamban, welcome. Where are you located in Malaysia? I've not been to the mainland, but I've passed through the Malukkah Straight and spent a month off the Bornean Malaysian coast and in the port of Kota Kinabalu. Mount Kinabalu was a beautiful sight-- quite imposing. Also, have spent some time in Singapore.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Welcome to the forum. Although I have never been to Malaysia, I used to have some friends from there while studying in Korea. I also wonder what kind of tobacco or blends you are smoking there.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
Howdy and welcome! I have spent some time in Malaysia, mostly on the west side in Kemmaman and Kuantan. Never found a tobacco shop while I was there other than a small retailer in the zkuantan mall and they only had a few cigars that were very expensive.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hello all!
And thank you for the welcome messages. Feels like i'll be getting comfy here real soon.
I live in Kuala Lumpur, but was born in the island of Penang.
Yes, Borneo is beautiful and Mount Kinabalu is quite a sight. And hey, every sunset i've seen in that area has been amazing! Some magic going on there, for sure!
Kuantan is on the East Coast of the peninsular and that side has some beautiful waters. Nearby there is a piping community and a few local pipemakers.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
As for what tobacco or blends i smoke, there are a number of them. I'm quite new to this. Although i first smoked a pipe back in 2011, it was only around the middle of last year that my wife and i started to explore and experience pipe tobacco more passionately.
Here in Malaysia we have access to a fair share of tobaccos that you are familiar with. But when it comes to quality American blends, we have much less options. Just the state of the current market here, i guess. But there is always the internet and international smuggling mules. ;{p
Based on what i have managed to taste so far in our little journey into pipe tobacco, these are some of the blends that stood out:
Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake

Cornell & Diehl - Bayou Night (we felt this one was very unique)

G.L Pease - Quiet Nights

Hearth & Home - Black House

Ilsted's Own - Dark Fired Plug

McClelland - Frog Morton Across the Pond (we also like Cellar and OTT)

Tabac Manil - Semois (direct from Belgium, courtesy of an international tobacco mule)
Any recommendations of blends for us to try?
Looking forward to hearing from you all!

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
I would like to try some of that once i can get my hands on some. We only have a handful of GLP blends sold here. Thanks for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.