PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinosam

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
I've almost always smoked aromatic blends and I'm tired of it. I want to try some tobacco blends that feature more things like latakia, virginia, oriental etc. But the one time (several years ago) I tried an English blend and I wasn't a big fan, it was just too smoky and burning-wood-like. Are there some tobacco blends someone can recommend that would be a transition to the English or Balkan type?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I think any of the Frog Morton series would qualify, at least to my taste...... My favorite in this genre is Esoterica's Pembroke. It's an English with cognac. Magnificent!!!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I would agree with Rick, in particular Frog Morton Cellar. I've also been smoking Sutliff Man's Best Friend and that's a nice mild crossover with some kind o topping (rum perhaps).

howulikeit

Lurker
Nov 3, 2013
Frog Morton as suggested is a classic hybrid blend. H&H Mazatec is a blend I've hyped before - almost a toasted marshmallow taste and aroma due to the latakia and vanilla notes. People have compared Mazatec to Shortcut to Mushrooms so maybe you should give that one a shot too.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Another option is Pipe works and Wilke. They have several blends that are an excellent balance of tobacco flavors and aros.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Frog Morton, as already noted. Also, I'd recommend Bald-Headed Teacher. It's not an aromatic, or even a semi-aromatic, but it is a gentle introduction to "english" blends. Even though I quite like fuller flavored tobaccos, I find that I smoke a lot of BHT.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
What you're after is Pipeworks & Wilke No. 5.

No. 13 is also good. In fact I'm smoking some right now. But No. 5 is sublime.
You may also want to try Two Friends English Chocolate.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Here's a second on Pembroke!

But what I'd like to suggest, is that you take an aromatic that you enjoy, and add just a bit of Latakia and Oriental. Start out at bowlful-sizes, and weigh the amounts if you can, keeping track of what you did, so that you can blend the same thing again. Not only might you find your perfect blend, but you will learn a thing or two about tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think some of the burley/Virginia/Cavendish blends achieve a lively flavor without adding a lot of

flavor casing. Cornell & Diehl does a lot with these, and Low Country blends, the house blends at

smokingpipes.com seem to go in this direction. I do my own home mix of Lanes Burley Without Bite,

McClellands red Virginia cake, and whatever Cavendish I have on hand, with or without a slight aro

tinge of vanilla or walnut. Sutliff blends also offer some distinct tobacco flavor forwards blends, though

they may be aromatics, strictly speaking -- Great Outdoors for example, though there are a number.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I'm smoking Pembroke now, not aromatic. Get used to lataki with MacBaren Plumcake or Highland. I would try the McClelland grand orientals for a natural aroma. IRC has a Kings Oriental with black and natural cav, oriental, spice and no lat. Esoterica has an aromatic english called St. Ives. Good luck finding it. Iwan Ries' Three Star line has several aromatics with oriental leaf. HIGHLY RECOMENDED

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
Another vote for Frog Morton Cellar. Great tobacco. I've also heard Just For Him's Shortcut To Mushrooms is a crossover Aro/English that many people rave about.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I've been looking at Sutliff's "Academy", which appears to be an English / Aromatic crossover blend. I've not tried it yet.
H&H Mazatec is very good, as is "Shortcut to Mushrooms by JFH. I also quite like McCranie's "Hellsgate", which is an English with an interesting (sweet clove?), spice element.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Another possibility I'll throw out is Walnut by the John Middleton Co. This is a combination of several different tobaccos including a small amount of Latakia along with some Virginia, Oriental,Turkish, Cavendish, and some Burley and a mild topping of some kind. It is a blend that has been around for a very long time and is quite tasty to my tastebuds. Had three bowls this past Saturday afternoon. It is very affordable. The only drawback is that it is normally sold in a 12 ounce can, so if you're only wanting to try a couple of ounces someone like 4 Noggins may sell it by the ounce. So many possibilites to choose from. That is part of the fun of this venture. Good luck

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
My "everyday" smoke (& I mean I smoke it all day, everyday) is a 50/50 mix of G&H Balkan/Cherry & Vanilla. Sounds strange, tastes great!

Aug 1, 2012
How about C&D's Captain Bob's Blend? An alternative is a bit of Lane 1Q, 1/4-1/3 of the total 5 Brothers, and a heavy pinch of blending Latakia.

Status
Not open for further replies.