PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
ruscho, I enjoy Night Cap a lot! But if like something along those lines with a more pronounced sweetness.
You are not going to find anything "typical english player" sweeter than Nightcap, that's a fact.
People here tend to drift off and just list whatever they enjoy smoking, so most of the suggestions above will have absolutely no sweetness at all :)
That said, your best shot would be a blend by McClelland called "Jenidje Highlander". I personally have not smoked this particular one, but I have tried the Jenidje Supreme - and that's one sweet sonofabish! The "Highlander" is apparently the "Supreme" with Latakia, so I would try this, if I were you. Now, how "English" it would taste, that's another story :)

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Nightcap is not sweet. Ruscho is playing head games with you, Texmexpipe.
I humbly submit:
Dunhil:l 965

McClelland: 3 Oaks Syrian

Butera Royal: Vintage Latakia No. 2

Seattle Pipe Club: Mississippi River

McClelland: Frog Morton's Cellar

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
ruscho, I enjoy Night Cap a lot! But if like something along those lines with a more pronounced sweetness.
Srsly, try Newminister English Oriental and Arango Balkan Supreme then. Both are bulk only, about 36$ a pound. Sounds exactly like what you're looking for. I have both of them in my cellar and yeah, it's very nightcap like with sweetness.
You are not going to find anything "typical english player" sweeter than Nightcap, that's a fact.

I would disagree, both English Oriental and Balkan Supreme would be typical english players but sweeter than nightcap.
C&D's Epiphany I have and it is not at all sweet.
Lancers slices is smokey sweet and very enjoyable, I find it needs a bit of time though in a jar though, I just got a quarter pound of it and it has an ammonia kind of taste to it and a really nasty room clearing smell. I've had this happen though with other english bulk blends that goes away after a bit of time out in a jar.
Mississipi River and Plum Pudding by SPC are both excellent also but totally different than the nightcap sweeter blend you seek.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For something completely different there is Two Friends Valle Crucis which is alt blend with a ginger note. It's a strange lend but there us something about it that appeals to me sometimes.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I mixed some Maple Street and Nightcap together tonight and got a bowl of night cap that bites. I wasn't too upset as it still largely tasted like night cap, and I only mixed up enough for a cob full. It wasn't bad but not what I'm looking for. I want a pronounced almost aromatic sweetness on top of that lat-bomb taste. Maybe I'm asking for a unicorn, the feedback that y'all have given is great!

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
+1 Cobguy American Patriot is really good, but it reminded me a lot of a Frog morton blend which has been mentioned a lot here as well.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
No mention of SPC MR? Seems it would fill the bill?

whoops...I missed it in my first skim through...again...it's tobacco candy!

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Petersons Balkan Delight to me has a definite sweet/salt toffee edge.
+1 on SPC MR

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
I want a pronounced almost aromatic sweetness on top of that lat-bomb taste. Maybe I'm asking for a unicorn, the feedback that y'all have given is great!
You are not looking for unicorn. Try the "Jenidje Highlander" and if it's not what you are looking for - I would eat my hat! The Orientals in it are soooooo sweet, I just can't finish my tin of Jenidje Supreme. Literally sweet as sugar, not flavored!
People suggesting Frog Morton and bulk English blends are leading you down the wrong path, i.e. light blends, not sweet ones.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"Literally sweet as sugar, not flavored! "
If it is that sweet then it has sugar added to it. There is no leaf out there that is sweet as sugar,naturally.

ruscho

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
If it is that sweet then it has sugar added to it. There is no leaf out there that is sweet as sugar,naturally.
Pipe tobacco has sugar added to it, regardless.
This one is a mixture of sweet oriental and oriental cavendish, hence the extra sweetness. Is it topped? I don't think so. I get a tongue burn from any aromatic and this one is a cool customer. Just too sweet for my taste.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
I've yet to explore the oriental blends but from all that I'm reading about them I think they will be something I enjoy.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Gatlin-Burlier's Cumberland (chocolatey, rasiny Flavored)

The Smoker Wise Fox (not flavored, per say, but has alot of Black Cavendish)

Yenidje Highlander (sweet, but not candy sweet. More like tangy sweet)

H&H Mazatec (Mushroomy, earthy)

C&D Epiphany (Quite a bit of burley, similar to Mazatec)

Frog Morton Cellar (Whiskey Flavored)

Chocolate Flake (Some chocolate taste, but kind of soapy)
I really like Lat. forward blends that are flavored as well. Some just have more of certain tobaccos in them. Such as burley or orientals. Orientals are IMO tangy, not what I would call "sweet". I'm on the same hunt as you, and these are all different than Traditional "English" blends.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To me mixing aromatic with Latakia is like mixing Hershey's syrup with ketchup. Maybe it wouldn't be bad but it sounds too gross to try.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I don't find Nightcap to be sweet.
I don't care for sweet latakia blends, but if I were to recommend two, it'd be GLP's Maltese Falcon and McClelland's Frog Morton Across the Pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.