PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I just finished reading A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I was drawn into reading the Sherlock Holmes series after I began to smoke pipes. I must admit, that for a story written over 100 years ago, this book was truly remarkable! I thought I would be bored by such an old novel. However, this was truly a timeless story! I know I may be the minority here (someone who has not read all of books) but I highly recommend reading this book and then watching the Sherlock series on Netflix.
What are your thoughts on A study in Scarlet? Is there one story that is better than the others, in your opinion? Do you recommend any one over the rest?

Also, what is your favorite on screen version of Sherlock Holmes?
I am looking for other shows or movies that I am not aware of.
...and yes, a quick search online can provide all these answers, but it is always fun to read these responses.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
Welcome to the world of Sherlock Holmes! It is fun to read the stories in order, but not necessary.

Among my favorites are, "Silver Blaze," "The Red-headed League," "A Scandal in Bohemia," "The Speckled Band," and, of course, The Hound of the Baskervilles .

My first favorite Holmes was Basil Rathbone. But, I think that the most accurate and entertaining Holmes is Jeremy Brett. The Brett productions for Granada Television were very well done, and often certain scenes in the show were imitations of the original Sidney Paget illustrations.

Good luck, and pleasant reading.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@milehighpiper. Welcome to the world of Sherlock Holmes. I began my journey earlier this year and it has been wonderful. Please read this post for further advice. http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sherlock-holmes-advice-before-reading
And thanks to @dino. He was a big help for me at the beginning.
Cheers

4e8YvUf.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I purchased a copy of A Study of Scarlet a few weeks ago but have yet to open it. I hope to start this weekend...been busy with a bathroom remodel and Christmas.`
@Neal - I always enjoy your posts with pictures.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
The Complete Sherlock Holmes is the only way to go, as you won't want to stop once the game is afoot!

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Also, make sure to fill your persian slipper quite full with strong, black shag before you start, or you'll be back and forth between the easy chair and the coal scuttle all day!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm a devout Sherlockian here as well. You can't go wrong with really any of AC Doyle's original stories. I also recently read 'The House of SIlk' and 'Moriarty', both of which are continuation novels authorized by the Doyle estate, and are very enjoyable. I wouldn't bother reading those until you've exhausted the original corpus, though.
As far as film depictions, you really can't go wrong with Jeremy Brett, and all of his Granada shows are available on YouTube for free.
Happy reading!

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Perfect! I have been borrowing the e-book versions from my library but I think I will take your advice and buy the big collection book. In a day and age where everything is so convenient, I much prefer to rest my eyes with a book rather than a screen. I plan on running errands and then heading to my smoke shop for a little reading. It is going to be a great day! Thanks for the suggestions!

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Sounds like a real great day for sure! I'm actually pretty jealous of you, to have so much untouched Sherlockian treasure in your future. Also, I couldn't agree more with your viewpoint, books beat screens any day of my week.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like each and every one of the original Sherlock Holmes pieces, and so far have even enjoyed the authorized continuation pieces. The one by Caleb Carr entitled "The Italian Secretary" was, IMHO, particularly good.
As far as the onscreen depictions, I enjoy everything except the ones that ruin time and place. The one with Cumberbatch is garbage that has nothing to do with the world of Sherlock Holmes, as is that trash series where the "Watson" character is an Asian female. If you want new characters, write a new series. Don't try to take something completely unrelated and piggyback off of Doyle's imagination and hard work just for the name recognition.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I second both the entire collection as the only way to go, and Jeremy Brett as Holmes. When you are all done with the original ACD collection, I’d also recommend, along with Hap, Anthony Horowitz’ reprisals in “The House of Silk” and “Moriarty” in that order. Top notch writing. Then, if you’re really into the detective stories, you can never go wrong with Nero Wolfe, and for another pipe smoker the Maigret series is great, although a bit less accessible as translated from French. And then “Parnassus on Wheels” and “The Haunted Bookshop” by Christopher Morley are great too, but not really mysteries.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
And Maigret is available on screen, first in the 1960’s, then in the 90’s with Michael Gambon and Rowan Atkinson recently. I really like the Atkinson ones, but you have to suspend the subconscious expectations of Mr. Bean as a tough Parisian police detective.

dino

Lifer
Jul 9, 2011
Chicago
I forgot to mention, if you want to listen to the Sherlock Holmes stories, complete and unabridged, as you work or drive, the collection on Naxos Audio Books CDs, read by David Timson, are superbly done. Timson's wonderful voice palette creates all the subtleties of both Holmes and Watson, and all the other characters, too.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
A Study in Scarlet is very good as are many of the other stories. I loved Basil Rathbone in the film series and Jeremy Brett on TV. For Watson I liked Edward Hardwick.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The Hound of the Baskervilles is my favorite. Jeremy Brett is my favorite on-screen Sherlock. Of the recent adaptations, none is adequate. I do like Elementary, but it's not really Sherlock Holmes, and that's what makes it OK for me.

Jun 4, 2014
I just finished The Valley of Fear which was partially based on the Molly McGuaires of the anthracite coal region of Pennsylvania. While I enjoy the Basil Rathbone movies, I think Jeremy Brett portrayal was one of the best.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
There are so many good Sherlock Holmes stories, it would be hard to pick a favorite. I do tend to really like the four novels maybe a little better than the short stories. The Hound of the Baskervilles is just riviting. I read and re-read the stories many times as a teenager, and they definitely were influential in my picking up the pipe when pipe smoking was very uncommon as I fall between the codger and hipster generations.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ If it's as funny as the trailer it'll be hilarious for sure.
"No shit Sherlock." :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.